TV/internet question for euorpeans

BellyDance Girl

this question has nothing to do with dance, but internet cable television in Europe ....

I'm in sales, and I freelance. One of the projects I am working on is a local medical TV show on regular cable television. The owner of the show is expanding his network to the web, to include 24 different programs (all in interview format)to run throughout the day. I do not see this as a good idea - lots of work on my part trying to sell something that doesn't exist yet.

He is 'selling' it to me pretty hard (as I am the one who will be trying to find clients that want shows produced.) And, it is hard enough to sell the one local show on regular TV.

My question is this - This guy says that he is working with a british web developer, and internet television is all the rage in Europe. He tells me and has told some of my clients that Internet TV is much more popular in Europe, and Europeans hardly use regular cable tv.

Is any of this true?

karena

Hi

Just speaking from personal experience, I only know one person who has internet TV. Now I don't know much about the differences, so forgive me if I get it wrong what is cable/internet etc. Internet TV to me is where you get your TV over the internet on a computer (I know that sounds obvious), and I have seen it once. Lots of people I know have Sky, through a dish or cable. They do have Sky that you can stop and start and rewind and so on, but unless I am mistaken that is still cable or satellite? Lots of people have that. Maybe even most people (which I find quite disturbing, but that's a whole different subject). And we are being switched from analogue to digital imminently, but if I understand right this is also nothing to do with internet TV, as it still comes through a box attached to the TV. And I've just remembered, my boyfriend sometimes watches the cycling on some internet TV channel, so I guess that is internet TV. And actually I do have one other friend that doesn't have TV, but watches some things on TV links website, but I still don't think that's internet TV as I think it's just where people post files. So at the very most, I have heard of it 3 times.

Hope that's some help, and apologies if it's rambling, but as I'm not a TV expert I didn't want to mislead.

Reen.Blom

Most ppl still have TVs cos it is more comfy to watch? So why watch TV on Computer if there is an alternative???

Aniseteph

I don't know how that Sky thing works either! I agree with Karena - most people in the UK have satellite or cable or get digital TV through an aerial.

Husband occasionally watches foreign TV over the web on the PC, but that's different - I think it's standard TV broadcasts that TV companies make available as a download or streaming video or something (out of my technical depth here).

chryssanthi sahar

He tells me and has told some of my clients that Internet TV is much more popular in Europe, and Europeans hardly use regular cable tv.
This is of course a joke:lol: In Germany where I live there is Internet TV, but people who watch it are a small minority. There are digital channels, but you have to pay for them and you can watch them on normal TV. But I hardly know people who watch TV only on their computers (some poor students do, because they want to avoid to pay the fee for TV).
In Greece where I come from, people hardly even know that Internet TV exists! So this guy is just acting due to the principal "think big", but this is dangerous! If you invest in a bubble at the end you will remain with nothing.

BellyDance Girl

Thank you all - very educational. I do see this as a possibility, but I see little return on investment for my clients in the short term.

chryssanthi sahar

Thank you all - very educational. I do see this as a possibility, but I see little return on investment for my clients in the short term.
As you can see by our commentaries, the situation seems to be very different from country to country. Americans tend to forget that Europe is not one country. Europe consists of very many very different countries with different development in different areas. So if you want to sell something like this, maybe first you have to find out in which European countries this project has a chance at all. From what I see here, Finland seems to be the most advanced in this subject (if watching TV there is only for the "old":lol:). Maybe you should start there;)

gisela

Super Moderator
agree, chryssanthi. I was just going to say that as well, that we're not just one big country.

I do watch internet-tv but there's not a lot to watch. In sweden you can only find the series and documentaries that are produced by the swedish television network and that's not sooo much. The quality is quite bad as well. BIG pixels.

In denmark they are introducing a new media license, to cover everything so now it's not just the tv and radio but you will have to pay this if you have either tv, radio, computer with broadband or a 3G-phone.
I would watch internet tv more though, if there was more to watch and better quality.

BellyDance Girl

chryssanthi sahar and gisela,

Thank you for your comments. I do believe that internet TV will be better, and more popular - but not for another few years. I remember visiting my friends on Crete (efharisto, chryssanthi! kalispera!) in '01 and everyone there was texting. Honestly, I thought it was a little silly - why not just call them, I thought. Now, I text like crazy!

Oh, I feel I need to clarify - I do know that Europe is not one country, and that each country has their own technology, their own government, etc. I just posed the general question that has been promoted in my meetings ( "Internet TV is all the rage in Europe, cable is almost non-existent").

HOWEVER,
I take minor offense at chryssanthi sahar's VERY general and stereotypical statement:

"Americans tend to forget that Europe is not one country."

What is the basis for that statement?

US students are required to take world history and world geography. It doesn't mean that we remember each and every Prime Minister, etc of each country. I admit that our nationalism blinds us from other global issues, and languages; but as far as I know, most of us do indeed know that Europe is many countries.

My point for asking this question is not because the guy I'm working for is looking to target viewers in Europe. His immediate target are viewers in the state of Ohio, where, as in most of the US, internet TV is almost non-existent; except for YouTube, and independent films, which are mostly geared towards the 35 and under set.

The reason I ask this question is that the guy who hired me to find medical clients for his cable show is enthusiastically telling me, and my clients, that most Europeans don't use cable, they use internet tv. He is telling them this to try to get them to sign onto his new internet tv network, which does not even online yet! He says it should be up and running in the next two or three months. How can it be online without clients (or him) paying for it?

I have a suspicion that he is saying whatever he can to get people to sign up, convincing them that they are pioneers in the Gold Rush, and they better get on board before other people develop internet tv networks.

I just needed a general, unscientific survey from peers to see if all of this hype was true. I'd definitely have a different opinion as well as enthusiasm if I heard comments like:

'cable???? oh that is sooo 20th century, All my favorite shows are transmitted through the internet.'

However, all of the comments in here and other communities are too similar, which I appreciate.

Not only do I feel he is misrepresenting the new product, I am worried that my reputation is on the line. I've worked in media sales and PR since '97. I have met some great people who have become both clients and friends. I have finally gotten to a place in my life where I am freelancing with a good base of past clients and leads who know me. I don't want suddenly appear as a used car salesman. I have already taken him to meetings with past clients who gave distinct eye-rolling and doubtful facial expressions.

I felt that I needed to take a general survey to see if what he was saying was true.

I just don't think it would be profitable for any of my local connections to sign onto a website that isn't even online yet, and pay near $1,000 for video clips they could do themselves and load on their own websites, which are already getting hits. Perhaps I am just short-sighted, but I can't promote something to someone unless I believe it is a good fit.

Last edited:

belly_dancer

Hey bellydancegirl.... as with most questions asked... seems like you answered yours yourself..... it seems (esp. with that last paragraph added on!!!) that you KNOW the answer to your inquiry... this guy is a cad!!!
YOU should NOT risk YOUR reputation for him!!!
there are PLENTY of other fish in the sea (opportunities for business)... sounds like this guy wants to take advantage of the fact that you DO have a good rep in this business....
FOLLOW YOUR INSTINCTS!!!!
good luck from another unaverage American woman!!!!

chryssanthi sahar

HOWEVER,
I take minor offense at chryssanthi sahar's VERY general and stereotypical statement:

"Americans tend to forget that Europe is not one country."

What is the basis for that statement?

Sorry Belly Dance Girl, I didn't mean to offend anybody with this statement. The basis for this statement though, is my personal experience with many Americans;) Even if all Americans theoretically know (or at least should know) that Europe consists of many countries, practically there are quite many who don't realize this and tend not to differentiate between the European countries and cultures. (I'm just saying "many", not "all"). Europe is becoming slowly a political union but it is still far away from being a cultural union, and it is o.k. like this. It is nice to have many countries who work together and exchange their cultures.
On the other hand there are of course many Europeans who have a wrong image of America. Many for example don't differentiate between USA and Canada:lol: