Video about Hijab-Veil in Egypt

Midoria

Does anyone here watch Little Mosque on the Prairie? I love the character of Rayyan, who is an Islamic feminist and wears a form of hijab (you can see more about the show here, and see what she wears: Little Mosque on the Prairie - Canadian, Eh? ) I think this show is a lot of fun, and her character fascinates me, as as I want to better understand what a modern Muslim woman can be like in many of its forms, Rayyan being one of them, however fictional.

I've watched a few episodes on YouTube, but I've yet to see it on TV here in the DC area.

I also enjoy the character of "Ryyan". I get so tired of people, both Muslim and non, acting as if following Islam means you have to act like you're in the 1940's or the 7th Century. You can follow Islam and still be a modern woman. It is a flexible religion, but people tend to forget that. Luckily, I've met enough real-life "Ryyans" to give me hope!

Tarik Sultan

That's it!

God I hate those commercials. Can you believe that now they've started targeting Indian men with a special line for them? FAIR AND HANDSOME! God I hope its a phase. Can you imagine whole nations of people with white faces and brown bodies!:shok:

Maram

God I hate those commercials. Can you believe that now they've started targeting Indian men with a special line for them? FAIR AND HANDSOME! God I hope its a phase. Can you imagine whole nations of people with white faces and brown bodies!:shok:
Oh God... I hate that sooo much. It's a huge problem especially among the desi communities.

I was talking to my Indian friend a few months ago and she's a BEAUTIFUL and GORGEOUS girl. Nice hour glass figure, big beautiful eyes and beautiful reddish brown hair.

However she is sooo self concious and uses those Fair and Lovely creams. She used to be (( and I believe she still is)) in love with a boy who claims she's ugly. I assume because she has dark skin. Even her mother gets upset if she is out in the sun too long because if she's too dark then she'll be viewed amongst the desi community as unattractive.

It pisses me off to no end. She is a beautiful girl who looks like she belongs on a Parisian run way even though she has very dark skin. But the people in her country seem to prefer plain faced or even ugly girls as long as they have white skin and blonde hair.

I'm not saying that girls with blonde hair and white skin are ugly.I'm just saying that even if a girl's face is unimpressive she is considered more beautiful for her light skin. I just hate how people over look a girl because of her dark complexion.

Suheir

We have a huge population from the Indian sub-continent where I live and I see women using umbrellas as parasols to prevent themselves getting darker in our fantastic :lol: English sunshine.

Dev

We have a huge population from the Indian sub-continent where I live and I see women using umbrellas as parasols to prevent themselves getting darker in our fantastic :lol: English sunshine.

Yes its an Asian thing, Using faieness cream, My mum use one of those fair and lovely and using it for years, she is still very yellow though.

Midoria

Ironically, it seems that most non-White groups prefer the more pallid complexions, so I'm not shocked at all. Unfortunately, the bleaching is not just a Desi thing.

I want to school with a lot of first generation African girls. I will never forget seeing a weird group of dark brown women with with light brown faces walking around at our graduation. People were whispering about it for the entire baccalaureate! I've seen bleaching cremes in some Latino shops as well.

lizaj

I now chose to avoid a tan . After a few years of obtaining red blotches instead of a golden hue, I realised I was wasting my time: I was of Celtic hue that has, according to Billy Connolly to turn from pale purple to white never mind tan.
Since I started going on holiday to North Africa , I have had both men and women ask to stroke my skin and SIGH deeply. Wot!Even this very last holday . Yes even with the odd wrinkle.:rolleyes:
And here's me having to restrain myself from wanting to touch someone a with silky ebony body;)
God/Allah/the Creator must permamently have his/her hands on hips thinking..."are this lot ever satisfied with what they get?!"