Video recommendations please?

DancingArabian

I'm looking for video suggestions on:

- isolations, particularly developing and improving
- arms/hands
- shimmies, different kinds
- transitions
- any kind of videos that teach good exercises for drilling
- instructional material that introduces new movements, layers, combinations (I know this one will be hard because you don't know what I know, so just assume I have an advanced beginner to entry level intermediate movement vocabulary already)
- floor work
- veil work

Also, if you have instead the names of particular dancer or troupes who put out good videos, that is very welcome too! If I can get specific videos or at least some good instructors to buy from, it's all good to me!

I will be buying a couple of videos at a time as I go.

Thank you!

Darshiva

Once again I have to sing the praises of Keti Sharif's 1001 moves dvd. It's a 3 dvd set, thus the price, but it covers everything that you asked for, with clarity and multiple angles. It's also the dvd I recommend to any student who is struggling in class or wanting to finesse a move.

Zanbaka

Anything by Suzanna del Vecchio is great! Even though the website says that Precision Motion Workout is for beginners, there are many advanced moves and it very comprehensive.
Belly Dance Videos by Suzanna Del Vecchio

I couldn't find this on her website, but I love Aziza's practice companion:
Amazon.com: Aziza's Ultimate Bellydance Pratice Companion: Aziza: Movies & TV

Last edited:

Darshiva

I couldn't find this on her website, but I love Aziza's practice companion:
Amazon.com: Aziza's Ultimate Bellydance Pratice Companion: Aziza: Movies & TV

I like the social aspect of the circle formation she has, but I find it difficult to follow along with her for that reason. It's a nice format for a relaxed class with more emphasis on togetherness, but not really great for an instructional dvd, in my opinion. Otherwise, I agree with you - the content is pretty spot-on.

Sophia Maria

I have the Aziza one, and I can tell you it is absolutely fantastic. I actually like that it feels like a relaxed atmosphere--it tricks you into thinking everything's cool until you realize you're actually working really hard. Plus, I find her drills extremely useful to incorporate into daily practice, especially in terms of the way she teaches posture.

Darshiva

This DVD is all shimmies...It's an incredible amount of material. It is very difficult, though. I got it a year ago and I will still be working with it for years

Amazon.com: Learn 21 Shimmies and 1001 Variations Belly Dance Instruction: Movies & TV

Good luck, happy shimmies

I actually found it pretty easy. But yes, there is a LOT in there! I think the hardest part is that her accent is pretty heavy and can alter her pronounciation.

I think if you have a good solid foundation in breaking down layered moves that this dvd will be no trouble to you, but otherwise it will be a nice meaty challenge.

Sirène

I'm looking for video suggestions on:
- arms/hands

Aziza's Hands, Arms & Poses:
Aziza new instructional DVD; Hands, Harms and Poses ! - YouTube

- shimmies, different kinds

Shimmies with Khalida
New instructional DVD - Shimmies with Khalida! - YouTube

any kind of videos that teach good exercises for drilling

Aziza's practice companion is great for drilling, assuming you already have a basic dance vocabulary.

- floor work

Ruby's Flawless Floorwork is what leaps to mind, if you're ready for an advanced level DVD.

- veil work

Sarah Skinner's Bellydance with Veil
BELLYDANCE with VEIL :: DVD :: Sarah Skinner :: WorldDanceNewYork.com - YouTube
This one is incredibly thorough and worth every penny.