What do you care most about a belly dance silk veil?

perfectfan

Hi everyone!
Silk-Bamboo Studio is doing an investigation about what is the most important feature of silk veils. Can you give me some ideas?

In the order of most to least, which of the following features of belly dance silk veil do you care?
A~Good colors: vibrant and good gradation
B~light weight, floating
C~long lasting: no twisted silk or holes
D~softness, skin-friendly
E~washable.

It is very hard to make a veil with all these characteristics. For example, if you want durability(C), we will use a little thicker silk which is a little heavier and make the fabric less soft, which sacrifices B and D.
And we have not found a way to dye the fabric that never loses any color during first-time wash...

Your ideas are greatly valued!

Farasha Hanem

Hi, perfectfan, how are you? I've bought two sets of fan veils from you, and I love them. However, this section of the forum is more for technical help with the forum (login problems and things of that nature). If one of our lovely super admins can move your thread to the Belly Dance Shopping section, I'd be more than happy to answer your questions there! :D

perfectfan

Hi, perfectfan, how are you? I've bought two sets of fan veils from you, and I love them. However, this section of the forum is more for technical help with the forum (login problems and things of that nature). If one of our lovely super admins can move your thread to the Belly Dance Shopping section, I'd be more than happy to answer your questions there! :D
I am good. Thank you!
Sorry i posted the wrong place. where should i put it? Can i move it there?

Farasha Hanem

I am good. Thank you!
Sorry i posted the wrong place. where should i put it? Can i move it there?
Golly, it's been so long since I was a non-moderator, I've forgotten if regular members can remove their own threads! :doh: Unfortunately, I'm not one of the co-mods for this particular subforum, or I would move it for you. Perhaps one of our Super Mods can help move your thread to the vendor's subforum. :)

Farasha Hanem

Farasha: we need a supermod (my phone autocorrected it to supermodel :-D) or Salome iirc.
There we go, THAT'S what I meant, but couldn't remember the proper name! :doh: For some reason, I was thinking "co-manager"---I've worked for Walmart for way too long! :wall:

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

I'll go ahead and answer the question here while we wait for either the mod of this subforum or for one of the supermods to move your thread.

I do want my veils to last; it always makes me sad to see the threads start separating and for tiny holes to start appearing. :( That being said, I've never used an 8 mm silk veil. All of mine are 5 mm, and are so soft and light, which are the B and D that get sacrificed. :( So I guess B and D do come first for me, with C, A, and E following, in that order. I also like originality when it comes to color and design. I own a couple of veils that were hand painted, one with a flower, and one with a butterfly, in gorgeous colors that match most of my costumes.

For me, size also matters. I'm short, so most rectangular veils are too wide for me, and drag the floor when I dance with them (they also tend to trip me. Sliding on silk is no fun!). I've come to LOVE half circle veils, I can handle them better. I prefer 3 yard veils, but I'd give a four yard one a try. :)

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
When it comes to silk, I too prefer lighter ones. 8mm are fine, but 5mm or 4mm are better for my dance style - at least indoors! I'm 6 feet tall, and thus prefer 4 yard veils. Half circles are wonderful for double veil. Like any other dancer, I like bright, colorful, and pretty veils - but will take longevity over beauty. I treat my veils "with kindness", I have a super-ultra light chiffon veil that is pretty old now, and its fine - no holes, runs or other problems.

Daimona

Aand I'm different and prefer the heavier ones. 5-6mm is what I use most, but I also love my heavier silk veils (8mm). 4 mm silk is too light to my preferences. I don't do half circle veils, but I do double veil work with rectangular ones and usually look for silk veils that comes in matching pairs...

What matters most to me is how it feels to dance with. It might be washable, flowy, soft to the skin and long-lasting in great colors, but if it doesn't work with my dance style it won't be used....

Ariadne

In the order of most to least, which of the following features of belly dance silk veil do you care?
A~Good colors: vibrant and good gradation
B~light weight, floating
C~long lasting: no twisted silk or holes
D~softness, skin-friendly
E~washable.
I'm like Faresha, for me it's B and D that are the most important. After that I would probably go A, E, and then C.

I like a good floaty veil and have very sensitive skin so it's easy to see why B and D would be my top two. I have never really used a heavier weight veil though so I have no idea if I would like them.

Asra*

Hi perfectfan! Silk Bamboo is my go-to source for anything silk, please keep up the great work!

I actually prefer 8mm veils. True, they are not quite as floaty but I find the extra weight makes them move better - they behave better, are less prone to static. The ones I have are also more beautifully dyed with more vibrant colors than my 5mm veils. I never wash my veils, I will just spot clean them if they get a bit of lip gloss or something on them. I expect the dye to stand up to a bit of gentle spot cleaning and not run if the veil gets wet.

An additional consideration is price. There are truly amazing veils out there which fullfill all the points on your list, but I can't afford to spend $150 on a veil very often :)

My order is:

* Good colors: vibrant and good gradation
* Price
* long lasting: no twisted silk or holes
* light weight, floating
* softness, skin-friendly
* washable.

Bellydance Oz

My priorities would be the same as Asra's. I don't think I've ever "recovered" from my flamenco training - in flamenco you do similar moves with a shawl that you'd do with a veil in belly dance, BUT a flamenco shawl is much, much heavier and therefore the effect is quite different. I still love feeling the weight of a heavier veil.

Farasha Hanem

Okay, I might have to backtrack a bit. :/ I recently acquired a couple of veils that I think are 8mm silk, but I'm not certain (one of the dancers I bought from isn't sure, either, the other one hasn't gotten back with me yet). I noticed my two new veils are more vibrant in color, and not as fragile as my 5mm veils. They're not as soft, but soft enough, and even though they're heavier, the difference in the float of the fabric is so minuscule, it doesn't bother me. Don't get me wrong, I still (and will always love) my 5mm veils for the reasons I stated before, but I think I'll be adding a few more heavier veils for their beauty and durability.

Heavy or light, as long as the silk and the colors used to dye them are of high-quality, I'm a happy dancer! :D

Farasha Hanem

Okay, the second dancer (who is also a silk vendor) got back with me, and let me know that the veil she sold me is 5mm. 0.o It feels a lot more durable, though. o.0