What do you think about this belt?

Martba

Hi everyone! I 'm doing this tribal belt. What do you think about?
I looked some photos on Usa and Australian websites, then copy, but here in Italy I can't find small white tribal shells to decorate. On which website can I buy these? Thank you!

Martina

walladah

You are looking for cowry shells

or cowries! Usually they are found at the seashore, even of the Mediterranean, but not in the big quantities we need to create our stuff.

Have you tried to find them in stores where jewel artists are buying their stuff in bulk?

At least, in Greece, this is where one can find them pierced and ready for decoration. what is important, is to discern of the cowries cut in half (so the shell is kept in its opening part only) and cowries which are at their whole (so they are round and heavier, but with different impact, as they shine better).

The store where i buy stuff is this

DIVA áîåóïõÜñ ìüäáò

but they do not show the shells online. I have some time to visit them, as my drawers are full of shiny little stuff for new handicrafts, so, you would better send them an email to verify whether they still sell such things and tell you which type (half, whole, colours), what price etc.

I do not know how this will cost you, as i do not know whether they ship products abroad. you would better ask for some photos first, to make sure this is what you are looking for.

I hope this helps.

Shanazel

I love the colors you chose for the belt. Did you back it in any way to keep the knit stable or was that unnecessary? (I'm not much of a knitter so forgive me if it was a stupid question.)

Greek Bonfire

I don't know anything about making belts, but I love these colors. I hope you will show us the finished product.

Amulya

That looks like a very well made belt, well done! Maybe you can use coins instead, they would color well with the belt.

Nath

I love the colors you chose for the belt. Did you back it in any way to keep the knit stable or was that unnecessary? (I'm not much of a knitter so forgive me if it was a stupid question.)

If she knit it with negative ease (it pulls in), that would help but I would line it anyway because it will still eventually pull and sag the more it's embellished.