What is a good thank you gift for an international headliner?

gisela

Super Moderator
Hello,
I am in need of some suggestions for a nice gift for our guest star dancer at a show coming up. Flowers are common but not great as she is travelling the next day. I'd like to give something that is nice and says how much we appreciated having her here, that she can carry in her luggage without trouble, and that she doesn't get everywhere around the world when performing and teaching.

To all the other performers I am giving two small porcelain snowflakes (made by me). They are actually very pretty to hang in the window or tree for christmas. I am not sure this Cairo based dancer (Dalila) wants christmas ornaments.
Please help me with some ideas :pray:

Belly Love

Something that's unique to your country that can be a keepsake for her.

A mini care package for her flight (magazine, snacks, lip balm).

Tip: Dressing up a small gift really pretty shows that you put effort into it. I like to dress up gifts with bows and pretty wrapping no matter if they are $10 or $100. It always makes people feel like the gift is more "special".

Last edited:

Nejmeh

Well, uhm, why shouldn`t she want those snowflakes? It`s not specifically religious and you don`t specify her out like that being Cairo based. So she wouldn`t hang it in a tree, so what? It`s still a snowflake and thats pretty unique overthere!

da Sage

Hello,
I am in need of some suggestions for a nice gift for our guest star dancer at a show coming up. Flowers are common but not great as she is travelling the next day. I'd like to give something that is nice and says how much we appreciated having her here, that she can carry in her luggage without trouble, and that she doesn't get everywhere around the world when performing and teaching.

To all the other performers I am giving two small porcelain snowflakes (made by me). They are actually very pretty to hang in the window or tree for christmas. I am not sure this Cairo based dancer (Dalila) wants christmas ornaments.
Please help me with some ideas :pray:

If everyone else is getting snowflakes, go ahead and give a set to Dalila, too. If you want to give a small something else also (maybe a ceramic flower of a type that grows in Cairo?), that would be a nice touch. You could add a note that the snowflakes are often used for Christmas decorations, but you hope she will enjoy them year-round, and to sometimes think of you in the frozen wastes of Denmark as she enjoys the balmy Cairo weather!

Greek Bonfire

Yes, I think you should go with the snowflakes too. This way it shows that you think equally well of everybody. Snowflakes are rather universal and not necessarily reflecting any religion.

Shanazel

Another vote for the snowflakes. I grew up in HOT country. A snowflake is a symbol of wonder, fantasy, and magic to hot country folks.

Safran

I think your snowflake idea is just perfect - it is beautiful and a very special gift. I think it is very much appropriate. Just make sure you pack it in a way that would be easy for her to slip it into her purse/luggage.

A mini care package for her flight (magazine, snacks, lip balm).

I actually love this idea as well. I don't know how Dalila is, but I think it would work very well with the "down-to-earth stars" - dancers who are famous, but have maintained friendliness and openness. They'd definitely appreciate it AND would know how to show their appreciation.

LadyLoba

I like the idea for the snowflake...and if you want to add something extra for her, I like Belly Love's idea of a small care package to have with her on her flight. She can hang the snowflake as a winter time decoration from your country, no matter what religion she is or what holidays she observes. And the care package....I know I always like having a lot of light (or very absorbing) reading and all those other things you can buy at the gift shop but might not be able to get to if the only one you can find is too crowded or the security line gets held up and you start running late....

gisela

Super Moderator
Hmm yes you could be right. I think I was just nervous because I made them myself and somehow thought they weren't good enough for a star...

The care package is a quite nice idea too. I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the ideas and support!

Outi

Paying her wages shows your appreciation and perhaps they should be buying you a gift to show theirs?:D
Yep, yep! :dance:

Does this mean, that after all the hectic work scheduling in Cairo, workshop prepearing, choreographies etc. I have to start think about thank you gifts for hostes :shok:
I hate thinking gifts. I'm always late and mostly forget. Oh this just put the stress level way over the charts...

But of course any small thing would be great for the star. Espesially if you have tought about it some. The travel kit would be very nice touch. :)

Yshka

I love the idea of snowflakes and it is very unique IMO! I bet she will love those. Adding something else is cool too, though I've yet to come up with what to add at this time of night :lol:

Samira_dncr

Yep, yep! :dance:

Does this mean, that after all the hectic work scheduling in Cairo, workshop prepearing, choreographies etc. I have to start think about thank you gifts for hostes :shok:
I hate thinking gifts. I'm always late and mostly forget. Oh this just put the stress level way over the charts...

But of course any small thing would be great for the star. Espesially if you have tought about it some. The travel kit would be very nice touch. :)

As an event producer, I love the idea of getting thank you gifts, but then again, who doesn't like gifts? But honestly, I really don't think gifts are required, one way or another. I think gifts are nice, but not necessary. The best gift of all is to follow through with your arrangements as professionally as possible. :)

gisela

Super Moderator
I went through with the snowflake thingie. Many of the performers seemed really happy and commented on what a personal gift it was. I thought it was very important as we are unable to pay the dancers as it is now. I have read many threads discussing "paying the performers" and I would liked to have been able to do that. This was just not an option on the budget we have in the bd-organization. I even had e-mails from the performers asking if they needed to buy a ticket. That is why I was very fuzzed with giving them snacks backstage and making them little gifts. All in all we had 37 dancers on stage.

I didn't get a gift though ;) but got some hugs, which was great!

Samira_dncr

I didn't get a gift though ;) but got some hugs, which was great!

After running the Intensive for 8 years, I finally got a bouquet of flowers & a bottle of wine from the volunteers (the Volunteer Director coordinated the effort). Being an organizer, by and large, is a thankless job. It certainly isn't one you do for recognition and appreciation. I do get a lot of satisfaction from being a producer, but it certainly isn't in the form of gifts. Hahahahaha.

Outi

I'll remember that Samira, if we ever work together ;)

But (seriously) just being professional and respecting the other and doing the best you can is all it needs.

Gisela: I think that you arranged things very well. If performers are not payed, at least they felt appreciaded by your gesture. :clap: