What to do when people act "fresh" when tipping?

Munniko

I read on one of these forums about a dancer who experienced something like this and like you, she wasn't happy about it.

When she corrected an older persian lady for stuffing tips in her bra, the lady said she put the money in there so that it was safe, so the dancer could keep it.

That post came to mind when you mentioned even the women were trying to tip in your bra, it could be a cultural thing, that maybe if the bills are hidden in your bra you won't have turn over your earnings to your boss or partner.
See as soon as I heard this it made perfect sense, but also had a flashback to high school that if I didn't have pockets at the moment and someone gave me money I would put it in my bra. It is the safest there, but at the same time I'm not sure I'd want others (even if it was other women) to put it there for me. I think it would definitely depend on the expression on the woman's face though. If it was a a kind look probably wouldn't mind, but if it was a disdainful look that she was better than me then we would have a problem.

Jane

It's been awhile since I did restaurant gigs and I've never had a problem with body tipping. Just stay in control of the situation. If you have a table full of people who are having a good time and have bills in their hand, they just motion you over to dance at their table for a little while. When you are done, present the side of your hip for the tip. I like to turn it into a game by making my hip move around as they try to put the money in the belt. Making it fun and silly relieves any tension and awkwardness. Most of my tippers have been women, men are too shy to tip most of the time. Anyone who couldn't take the hint on where I'm okay with getting tipped and I just smiled and shrugged and danced away. I only danced in nice places where drinking too much didn't happen.

Shanazel

Super Moderator
I always hated the whole tipping thing, but tips were an important part of my income so I cowgirled up and accepted them with a smile.

lily_raks

I just came back from a long vacation where I rarely used the internet and I'm so happy to come back and see all the responses :) Not only helpful advice but great laughs. Thanks ladies!

lily_raks

I read on one of these forums about a dancer who experienced something like this and like you, she wasn't happy about it.

When she corrected an older persian lady for stuffing tips in her bra, the lady said she put the money in there so that it was safe, so the dancer could keep it.

That post came to mind when you mentioned even the women were trying to tip in your bra, it could be a cultural thing, that maybe if the bills are hidden in your bra you won't have turn over your earnings to your boss or partner.

This makes so much sense, when the tip comes from a woman as you mention. Now the guys... that's a different story. I highly doubt they have the same intention as the ladies trying to look after the dancer keeping her tips :mad:

Alysha

Try balancing

You could balance a tray or basket on your head with a note for tips and whenever someone approaches just bow to the floor to show them where it goes. Takes your body out of the way because then they have to follow you to the floor if they want to put it else where. Plus the balancing adds a level of complexity to your dance, especially when you get really good at it.

LunaXJJ

Had a guy pursue me around the room one night (he was drunk). I finally grabbed the dollar out of his fist, slapped his face lightly, and danced away. The audience howled with laughter and he grinned sheepishly and sat down. I figured I wouldn't get paid that night since this guy owned the bar and his wife was watching the whole interaction. To my surprise, she came up later, paid me more than was agreed upon, told me she'd never seen anyone handle a drunk that slick, and asked me to come back. I think that was my first paid gig. :cool:
:lol: That's awesome.

Ahava_Melantha

I saw a dancer who had an elastic thing on their arm that had a big puffy flower on it. i think it would be great for tips hehe

teela

I have heard from several people that in certain Arabic cultures, the older ladies will put the money in a dancer's bra because it means the money is safer.

MizzNaaa

I know for a fact that here, lower classes and older women sometimes do tend to do the keeping money in the bra thing.

I've never performed publicly, certainly not in a restaurant venue, but if I ever did I would have an introduction.

"Hi, I'm Rana. Meet the girls; leftie and rightie *grabs own boobs*, they are not piggy banks"

gisela

Super Moderator
I know for a fact that here, lower classes and older women sometimes do tend to do the keeping money in the bra thing.

I've never performed publicly, certainly not in a restaurant venue, but if I ever did I would have an introduction.

"Hi, I'm Rana. Meet the girls; leftie and rightie *grabs own boobs*, they are not piggy banks"
:lol::lol::lol:

Indigo Shimmer

"Hi, I'm Rana. Meet the girls; leftie and rightie *grabs own boobs*, they are not piggy banks":clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I need to remember that one!

Indigo S.

LadyLoba

I am not sure how I'd feel about someone tucking tips in my costume. I'm really reserved about people touching me, so I doubt I'd want it unless it was a dance for a private event full of people I knew really well. But anytime someone seemed to want to touch or grab, I would probably improvise a quick "move out of the way" move...such as a half turn or a hip twist...to get the body part they were reaching for out of the way. If it got to be harrassing...I'd finish the dance as best I could as far away from the harrasser as I could..then during a break tell the person to stop as long as you didnt think it was dangerous....and then speak to the event or business manager/coordinator about the person.

I had a similar thing with my writing recently...had a guy who hangs out where I usually write approach me like he wanted to be a customer...then all he wanted to do was talk about prostitutes and other explicit sexual stuff. I told him I wouldnt be doing any writing for him....then made sure I wasnt near him as much as possible...and spoke to the building staff. He backed off.