What would your dream costume (belly dance or non-belly dance) look like?

seona

Ok, first I need to confess! My names Seona and I don't go that ga-ga over belly dance costumes :shok: :lol:

I really like them on others though, and I'm not being negative to those that love the costumes and the costuming side of things, but for myself I don't go that nuts for them, I think mainly as I feel like a numpty in a girly 2 peice, a bit out of my comfort zone. That's not because I'm not confident in myself or my body, just most costumes aren't me (if that makes sense!) Way too girly girl! I do like some bdance dresses (again nothing to do with body issues) which is funny as I'm deft not the conservative type. I would say that some of the tribal costumes would suit me more...but I'm not a tribal dancer!

Sorry if I've strayed too off topic, but that leads me on to say that when I have looked to buy I'm just not that crazy for what I see. As lovely as they are I think they all look same same same. I saw a thread once about Russian costumes, and for the first time I saw a few costumes I liked! They were quite unique and individual. So as this thread is about fantasy, I think my dream costume would deft be something custom made with my input with a designer who has originality. Probably in black, silver and purple. possibly Russian lol! I would purchase from someone who hand makes....Now thinking of it, Like g/bonfire also said, I would love for Ellen Oriental to design me a costume! :dance:

What with all the threads on appearance etc sometimes I feel like just concentrating on my drumming :lol:

To add....I wouldn't mind a classic costume like Souheir's with the matching body cover!

Last edited:

goddessyasaman

Ok, first I need to confess! My names Seona and I don't go that ga-ga over belly dance costumes :shok: :lol:

I really like them on others though, and I'm not being negative to those that love the costumes and the costuming side of things, but for myself I don't go that nuts for them, I think mainly as I feel like a numpty in a girly 2 peice, a bit out of my comfort zone. That's not because I'm not confident in myself or my body, just most costumes aren't me (if that makes sense!) Way too girly girl! I do like some bdance dresses (again nothing to do with body issues) which is funny as I'm deft not the conservative type. I would say that some of the tribal costumes would suit me more...but I'm not a tribal dancer!

Sorry if I've strayed too off topic, but that leads me on to say that when I have looked to buy I'm just not that crazy for what I see. As lovely as they are I think they all look same same same. I saw a thread once about Russian costumes, and for the first time I saw a few costumes I liked! They were quite unique and individual. So as this thread is about fantasy, I think my dream costume would deft be something custom made with my input with a designer who has originality. Probably in black, silver and purple. possibly Russian lol! I would purchase from someone who hand makes....Now thinking of it, Like g/bonfire also said, I would love for Ellen Oriental to design me a costume! :dance:

What with all the threads on appearance etc sometimes I feel like just concentrating on my drumming :lol:

To add....I wouldn't mind a classic costume like Souheir's with the matching body cover!

I'm with you on the same same same :), I like something different, but thats also why I make my own costumes most of the time, I was on a belly dance fourm and all these Belly dancers were like "Who is getting thier new Bella costumes" and I was like what is that, have I been under a rock, I checked into it and they where not something I would like though they are $500 and up i did'nt like them, but thats me.

My dream costume is a mix of different things here is a link to the one I said I liked early on I would want her to design a costume for me and I would buy these three as well, but I mix Native american in with my dance style so I guess I would like these :D

Custom Handmade Bellydance Nature Costume Set by Synari on Etsy

seona

I'm with you on the same same same :), I like something different, but thats also why I make my own costumes most of the time, I was on a belly dance fourm and all these Belly dancers were like "Who is getting thier new Bella costumes" and I was like what is that, have I been under a rock, I checked into it and they where not something I would like though they are $500 and up i did'nt like them, but thats me.

My dream costume is a mix of different things here is a link to the one I said I liked early on I would want her to design a costume for me and I would buy these three as well, but I mix Native american in with my dance style so I guess I would like these :D

Custom Handmade Bellydance Nature Costume Set by Synari on Etsy

I can totally see how those costumes would work for your fusion style.
Regarding Bella, I am aware it's a big designer, I can see that if you are a real professional they would be worth investing in, as I guess they are super well made also, I can't really comment as I haven't really looked at a lot of Bella's, just read the name a lot! So I guess they must be good. But sites I've looked at tbh nothing's grabbed me. Also thinking about all the costumes being same same, I guess, like fashion, someone will come up with a new idea and it just gets copied? who knows, just a thought.

One day I'm sure I'll find a costume that will make me go ''wowzers''!...Such a shame that Ellen Oriental dosen't sell costumes, I would love to meet her and work on a costume, that's a nice dream!

Thinking more about it, I should really try and bond with my sewing machine, I'm scared of it lol

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

I can totally see how those costumes would work for your fusion style.
Regarding Bella, I am aware it's a big designer, I can see that if you are a real professional they would be worth investing in, as I guess they are super well made also, I can't really comment as I haven't really looked at a lot of Bella's, just read the name a lot! So I guess they must be good. But sites I've looked at tbh nothing's grabbed me. Also thinking about all the costumes being same same, I guess, like fashion, someone will come up with a new idea and it just gets copied? who knows, just a thought.

One day I'm sure I'll find a costume that will make me go ''wowzers''!...Such a shame that Ellen Oriental dosen't sell costumes, I would love to meet her and work on a costume, that's a nice dream!

Thinking more about it, I should really try and bond with my sewing machine, I'm scared of it lol

Since this is a fantasy thread, all of the above problems would be solved :dance::dance:

seona

Since this is a fantasy thread, all of the above problems would be solved :dance::dance:

lol! :lol: True, I slipped into real world there, now where's Jane with that de-railed train? :lol:

Just to say although I personally don't really go that crazy for costumes, I don't take away from those that do,and agree there are some stunning costumes out there, but I've yet to find something I think is ''totally me''....I should really have started a new thread on this lol..... ok back to fantasy, .. sorry peeps! :lol:

Rania

♫ Earth tone fabric...beads of various colors, something with magical twist, of course dancing to turkish beats in my fantasy cloth. ♫ :cool:

I found a woman that made a belly dance costume pretty close to what I would want my dream costume to be, though I think no one else would like it
My style is Native Fusion so it has a Native american look, The costume is
$650.0 dollars thats not to bad, I have not bought it because I'm dropping weight and it would be made to my size have to wait a bit:D

The costumes are by

Synari,Synari Designs

★wow that sounds awsome. I never seen a belly dancer do that before. Maybe I missed it but you will be unique, in a good way. ★

Last edited by a moderator:

Ariadne

I've already designed my dream costume, I've named it the Black Widow. The problem is I just can't imagine ever actually having a reason to make it. :(

Shanazel

Ooooo, a little more leg coverage and I'll take that one, too, Gisela.

The following is from Velvet Peacock Designs. I love this costume though that color green would make me look like I needed to be in the hospital awaiting liver transplant. I love most of VPD costumes. Deep in my heart I want to grow up to be a tribal dancer just so I can wear one. I also love the coin bra and skirt in blue and green (Costume Gypsy Turkish Vests & Gypsy Skirts)

View attachment 4214

Yame

My dream costume would be made by a Russian designer. I don't remember the names of my favorite ones right now, but there are a couple of different Russian designers I really like (not that I don't like non-Russian designers, there are a lot of American, Turkish, and Brazilian designers I really love but Russians are my favorites)

The skirt would be long and very very flowy, probably two or three layers of silk fabric. The bra and belt would be completely covered in sequined/beaded designs with different textures and layers. The belt would have nice, thick fringe made of medium-sized bugle beads, and the bra would have matching fringe just in the middle, between the cups.
This costume would have matching arm and head accessories.
There are many different color combinations that could work, depending on the specific design.

Such costumes do exist, but I can't afford them. I would make them myself, but I don't have the required talent, time, and patience, nor do I have the money to even afford all the materials I would need. I will post some pictures later.

Belly Love

Something similar to this, but in more earthy colors like brown, wine, beige...
and with more fabric added to the skirt and instead of the beads hanging down in the center, there would be strands of beads hanging in a loop from one part of the top to another part.

Ariadne

The following is from Velvet Peacock Designs. I love this costume though that color green would make me look like I needed to be in the hospital awaiting liver transplant. I love most of VPD costumes. Deep in my heart I want to grow up to be a tribal dancer just so I can wear one. I also love the coin bra and skirt in blue and green (Costume Gypsy Turkish Vests & Gypsy Skirts)

View attachment 4214

You know if you wear it to a Renn Fair it doesn't matter what your style of dance is. ;)

MissVega

I love this dress of Jillina's. It is close to being one of my dreamcostumes.

Me too! Gorgeous dress!

Hmm I used to always want a Bella. I finally got the money to custom order one or two and just couldn't bring myself to do it. Something about not seeing the costume before spending all that money really bothered me I guess. Plus what if it didn't fit etc etc, maybe I worry too much:lol:

I did get a bella off of the Bhuz forums, and a fitted "dress" at that. BUt I have yet to dance in it, despite having had opportunities to dance in it. I think while it is gorgeous and fits perfectly I don't feel that it is "me" if that makes sense. I haven't sold it yet because I think I want to dance in it at least once, and it is very unique, especially for a Bella. I always have a hard time stepping out of my "box"/"comfort zone" when it comes to clothing.

I would love to have a russian costume. But again because of the language barrier and some not so nice stories I've heard I am scared to try and make a custom order from Canada to Russia:(
But one like Dariya's here I would LOVE LOVE LOVE LOL. So fun!!!
YouTube - ????? ???????? - Daria Mitskevich

I've also always loved this costume, and if I had longer, thinner legs would be all over it lol!
YouTube - 2759

Oh and how I have LUSTED over this costume
YouTube - 1514

And Even though this is a children's costume, I really want one in my size :rolleyes:
YouTube - 179

UGH now I am ripe with costume lust LOL!

Amulya

Love the Jillina one, the gypsy one (I have been thinking of buying it...) and the purple one is beautiful too.