When do you start performing?

His_Einna

I know I'm not anywhere near ready to perform...I know nothing about choreography and don't even have the confidence to perform for my partner, but I was just wondering when everyone else considers it time to begin. When did you know you were ready?

Ahimsa

My first performance just sort of 'happened'...! I look back now though at the tape and cringe at the technical skills, but there is a fondness too as it was my first performance and I recall the excitement perfectly!

There are 2 sides to performing; student performing and professional performing.

Student performing, at haflas, for family, your group etc., is more about you and whether you feel ready. People are there to appreciate your effort and what you have learnt so far.

Professional performance is where people have paid to see you perform. Personally I feel you have to be of a very high standard technically and built your 'stage skills' through student performances before you embark on professional performing. These abilities come with time. There is, however, no set time frame. Some students will take to performing at a much faster rate than others. You can gauge your readiness through feedback from your teacher and others you have performed for. Ensure you have an objective view though. You can also video tape yourself performing. I have found this to be an invaluable tool in improving my dancing.

Bright blessings

Sahara x

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
When our troupe used to teach, the students would be able to perform voluntarily at a halfa at the end of each class, student halfas, as well as during the summer dance festival here. Other than that there was no public performances for them.

Our troupe tries to maintain and hold a level of dance for the public. I didn't end up publicly performing till last year. Even so this was after 2 years of taking a lot of classes, workshops, and then going through a 6 month training period to be eligible to join my troupe.

Personally I never decided if I was ready but more of the feeling of 'do I have enough skills and knowledge right now to adequatly present my dance form to the public'? Now a year later, I am thinking if I have the time, dedication, and skills to up my level towards the higher echelons of professional performers.

Corylus

I know nothing about choreography and don't even have the confidence to perform for my partner

Hello there His_Einna,

I kind of feel that, for me, improvisation is more important than choreography. I am working towards performing at the moment and I feel safe and confident with choreographies, but getting up and dancing freestyle? That's a hot bed of fear for me! I have only performed at Haflas so far.

I think listening to a lot of ME music can help you to understand choreographies; once you can hear accents, rhythms and instruments it becomes a bit easier to tune into the music and express it through your dance.

with regards to partners, I would feel more nervous performing in front of my partner than a room full of strangers!

I have been having 2/3 lessons a week for a year and a half and I read books and watch videos of Belly dance on youtube etc. and I listen to ME music more than any other music. My teacher has suggested more training before I perform; she says my technique is good, but my ability to perform needs work which I agree with (I am still very self conscious about doing moves right/wrong and find it hard to relax and just enjoy it).

Pleasant dancer

I think listening to a lot of ME music can help you to understand choreographies; once you can hear accents, rhythms and instruments it becomes a bit easier to tune into the music and express it through your dance.

I have been having 2/3 lessons a week for a year and a half and I read books and watch videos of Belly dance on youtube etc. and I listen to ME music more than any other music.

Great - keep it up!

My teacher has suggested more training before I perform; she says my technique is good, but my ability to perform needs work which I agree with (I am still very self conscious about doing moves right/wrong and find it hard to relax and just enjoy it).

Hi Corylus. Yes, keep listening to the music, especially the stuff you think you would like to perform to. However, if it's restaurants you have to be careful as your audience is probably going to be mainly non-Arabic (depends where you are, etc) and they won't be used to the music. Arab pop or lively classical tunes work best in my experience. If you know the music really well it's much easier to improvise (what I call "structured improvisation" is best in my opinion, because many unforseen things can happen in a restaurant and these make sticking to a choreography difficult). If you know your music well enough to know what is coming next, you can pick your intended moves up again when the unforseen thing is over.

You can't be self conscious in a restaurant. You are the attraction and need to carry on even if the people ignore you because they prefer to eat rather than watch you! As to whether you're ready, only actually doing a performance will tell you ..............

Good luck for when you get around to doing the first one! :)