why no one uses 8mm habotai RECTANGULAR silk veil?

perfectfan

Some questions for my dear dancer friends:
Why is 8mm habotai Rectangular silk veils rarely seen being used in dancing? I have seen the 5mm rectangular silk veils and 8mm half circle silk veils. But no 8mm rectangular veils...Is that because 8mm rectangular silk veils are too heavy?
We want to develop tie-dye silk veils. 5mm silk fabric proves to be too thin(holes). 8mm silk is strong enough, but i fear it is too heavy...Also there are not any tie-dye half circle 8mm silk veils, are there? Hope there is a way to apply our wonderful tie-dye techniques to the belly dance veils...
Your any information is highly appreciated!!

Shanazel

Super Moderator
When I get around to making pictures, sure. Right now I mostly make them for friends and for myself since scarves and piece goods for quilters and embroiderers sell better in this area. I've been playing with silk painting for some time now and actually like the effects better than tie-dye, mostly because I have more control over placement.

What kind of dye are you using?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I have both 5mm & 8mm veils, the 8 is heavier but I quite like them as the lighter 5 can catch easier on your costume or even you if you don't get enough loft (air) in them. Maybe the 5 is preferred because you can see through them easier. There are tie dyed silk veils around. I have several.

Google tie dyed silk veils and you'll see that there are lots of sellers around. There are also 1/2 circle silk veils available from different sellers.
~Mosaic

perfectfan

well...i am not professional with the dye. The technicians are from another factory. They hold the techniques secret. My job is to find out whether tie-dye silk veils have a market, and whether 8mm is too heavy. If it is too heavy, where to find the silk fabric of right thickness(strong but light)...

Thank you for your information Mosaic!
Do you happen to have a 8mm silk veil in Rectangular shape and also in tie-dye style?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Thank you for your information Mosaic!
Do you happen to have a 8mm silk veil in Rectangular shape and also in tie-dye style?
I have a dark purple one but it's not tie dyed, The tie dyed ones are 5mm.

Here is a picture of an 8mm tie dye veil, as you can see you can see through them but they aren't as fine as the 5mm
~Mosaic

perfectfan

Thank you! At least i feel better because there ARE 8mm rectangular veils after all!
It is funny i also have a similar color of this item!

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Thank you! At least i feel better because there ARE 8mm rectangular veils after all!
It is funny i also have a similar color of this item!
free shipping hand painted 8mm habotai silk veil 45"x9' | eBay
Sorry have to put a link here...don't know how to make the image show...
Pretty colours, looks like it "lofts" well from the pics.

As for getting those pics on the forum, you can't, that one doesn't have an URL, you could upload from your computer or if you have them on another website. If you have click the little mountain pic above the window when creating a post, a small window will open and you copy and paste the URL into that & it should appear in your post.
~Mosaic