Wishtory Debunked, Denied, and Derided

Farasha Hanem

It's like she took various aspects of Middle Eastern history, religion and culture and created her own history.

I'm presuming that the shaman dance she's referring to are the Sufi whirling dervishes?

That's what I assumed, between bouts of nausea. :confused:

It is rather awkward for me personally for a person who is linking for more historical information.....to wind up on wikipedia >_>; Also for pioneers ...does she mean in the world or just where she is from. I just feel even more awkward that if she was a world pioneer shouldn't I have heard of her?

Exactly! This! Times infinity!!! :confused:

Last edited:

Ariadne

Also the British variety trio Wilson, Keppel and Betty, who immortalised their comedy Egyptian Walk in the early 20th century, have a lot to answer for, people still come up to me today and do their comedy ‘Egyptian camel walk’.

[video=youtube;j2fqjsijaMM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2fqjsijaMM[/video]

Ummm.... that is one of the best comedic performances of soft shoe dancing I've seen in years. How... why would you even compare it?

gisela

Super Moderator
Of all the examples of "bad bellydance" around the world, she chooses THAT to be annoyed at?! They were awesome!

Aniseteph

If you find it in a book in the British Library, YOU KNOW WHAT THAT BOOK IS AND CAN GIVE A REFERENCE. :wall: So annoying. Maybe it was Serpent of the Nile.

I'd have thought Wilson, Keppel and Betty were far less responsible for ideas of strange pseudo-Egyptian dance moves in the British general public than The Bangles' Walk Like an Egyptian. Or did they get it from WK&B too? Hmmm.... gets complicated. I still refuse to blame them for anything though, they are way too wonderful.

And I am enjoying hugely the idea that they are still interfering with anyone's concept of belly dance. I promise I will not ever heckle "Do the Egyptian Camel Walk!" at Ms S's troupe. I won't be able to help thinking it now though...

More Betty (from 2:12) being a bit more bellydancerish, but not much. Your new move for this year, get practising...
[video=youtube;Bj7bOxpXf-o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj7bOxpXf-o[/video]

Duvet

If you find it in a book in the British Library, YOU KNOW WHAT THAT BOOK IS AND CAN GIVE A REFERENCE. :wall: So annoying. Maybe it was Serpent of the Nile.

I'd have thought Wilson, Keppel and Betty were far less responsible for ideas of strange pseudo-Egyptian dance moves in the British general public than The Bangles' Walk Like an Egyptian. Or did they get it from WK&B too? Hmmm.... gets complicated. I still refuse to blame them for anything though, they are way too wonderful.

And I am enjoying hugely the idea that they are still interfering with anyone's concept of belly dance. I promise I will not ever heckle "Do the Egyptian Camel Walk!" at Ms S's troupe. I won't be able to help thinking it now though...

More Betty (from 2:12) being a bit more bellydancerish, but not much. Your new move for this year, get practising...
[video=youtube;Bj7bOxpXf-o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj7bOxpXf-o[/video]

Oh wow! That ending had me roaring with laughter. Certainly a version of the khaleegi I'd never seen before. Perhaps the Bellydance Superstars should give it a go.

But hey - Wilson and Keppel are playing zills as they dance - so much more authentic, and they include hip accents, hip circles and pelvic tilts amongst the more bizarre moves. If only they'd been wearing hip scarves!

Last edited:

DancingArabian

It is rather awkward for me personally for a person who is linking for more historical information.....to wind up on wikipedia >_>; Also for pioneers ...does she mean in the world or just where she is from. I just feel even more awkward that if she was a world pioneer shouldn't I have heard of her?

I think she means in the fantasy world she created. We weren't cool enough to get the invite :(

DancingArabian

Oh wow! That ending had me roaring with laughter. Certainly a version of the khaleegi I'd never seen before. Perhaps the Bellydance Superstars should give it a go.

Didn't you hear? BDSS thinks folkloric dances are boring and that no one wants to see men dance.

I"ve never seen those old videos before but they were hilarious. I have to give it to them though, learning to play zills for a comedy routine is devotion!

Kashmir

Sigh! Do you ever have an urge to do violence? Maybe shake them long enough to see if they do have a brain in there?

shiradotnet

I think you already posted this one. Which I'm actually glad of, because it means I can just tune it out, having already been distressed by it last time

Oops! My apologies. Oh well, I guess I'll let the duplicate sit there rather than delete.

Shanazel

I missed it the first time and this time didn't make it much past "The American belly dancing is really sexualized belly dancing."

I can only stand a limited amount of nonsense before noon.

Amulya

That woman is contradicting her own theories! First she claims it's all for women and then she says men belly dance too. And she doesn't know the difference between a transgender and a drag queen. Why on earth was that published?

DancingArabian

Papers

This is totally a must read.

Some things of note in the article:
Hip belts are physical representations of the Goddesses vulva and womb.
We are all priestesses because we bellydance.
Bellydance is at its origin, a sexy dance and is a about flaunting our fertility.
A direct quote "When we perform, in essence, we make love to our audience"

Well no wonder why people think belly dancers are whores!

Yorkshire Lass

I'd no idea that hip belts symbolise divine genitalia! I just thought they were fun to wear and looked good when dancing. :clap:

That's hilarious

Duvet

Papers

This is totally a must read.

Some things of note in the article:
Hip belts are physical representations of the Goddesses vulva and womb.
We are all priestesses because we bellydance.
Bellydance is at its origin, a sexy dance and is a about flaunting our fertility.
A direct quote "When we perform, in essence, we make love to our audience"

Well no wonder why people think belly dancers are whores!

Not forgetting;
Bellydance is a love fest, and awakens the audiences' ability and desire to have sacred sex.
Watching larger women bellydance can heal bulimia and anorexia.

Yorkshire Lass

This is a great find by the way. I've had a bad day and I'm now rolling on the floor with laughter at the article. Thanks for cheering me up DancingArabian.

High points include

Whereas Inanna praises her vulva and asks for her "holy churn" to be filled with Damuzi's "honey cheese," her sexual advances are rebuffed by the hero Gilgamesh and she becomes Tiamet, the sea dragon, killed and dismembered by King Marduk in the Enuma elish.

That's just the funniest thing I've ever read. Interesting mental images.

I believe that we, as the new sacred temple priestesses, are in a unique position to reconcile the sexual-spiritual schism that occurred when the Judeo-Christian-Islamic traditions came into power and matrilineal gave way to patrilineal societies. We do this through our bodies, our living presence, our sexy and holy dance.

We have been there for the weddings, birthdays, barmitsvas, baptisms, solstices and retirement parties. But our presence, although auspicious, has been viewed by others, and sometimes ourselves, as merely fun, secular entertainment. Yet we are so much more than that! We are not there to just "embarrass" Joe on his birthday. We are there to "honor" Joe on the fact that he was born! We are there to "celebrate" Joe for having made it through so many birthdays! We are there to "bless" Joe so that he may have a fertile, forthcoming year! And finally, we are there to "love" Joe--even if we do not like him--so that his heart may be lovingly filled and he can go and have sacred sex with whomever he wants. We do all of this....and for fifty somewhat dollars! What a deal!

So we're supposed to encourage people who watch us dance to have "sacred sex" (as opposed to regular sex). I must ask my teacher to add that to her introductory remarks at the next hafla. If only to make her laugh.

Aniseteph

I'd no idea that hip belts symbolise divine genitalia! I just thought they were fun to wear and looked good when dancing. :clap:

That's hilarious

There are a few on the TPBDC that make you wonder though. It's NOT an unfortunate placement/ design, or a poorly thought through use of pink lycra, gathering and a ring motif - it's an evocation of the Goddess, OK? Or God, if we are talking frontal danglies. Now, no more sniggering. :naghty:

Jane

Terrible history, but she can play finger cymbals like no other. [video=youtube;G3mvtImZdmU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3mvtImZdmU[/video]