Workout Tips for Beginning Dancer

Anjali

Hello!

I am starting bellydancing, going to take a class while going to college, and I was wondering if there are any key body areas I should focus on when it comes to working on, and also if you have any tips regarding workouts, diets etc. I don't have a very defined stomach so I am going to try to work on that, but I was wondering if anyone on the forum could pass along their knowledge? I would be very grateful. :)

Farasha Hanem

:think: Not too sure about "key body areas," but personally, I find yoga very helpful with flexibility. Otherwise, I think you can choose what sort of workout you like, and that works for you. You might try something like Pilates, cardio, tae bo, light weight training, anything to get you moving and in shape. Of course, bellydancing will give you quite a workout in and of itself! :)

bashta

By key body areas, I assume you mean things that are important to belly dance that you normally wouldn't think about... And one of these is definitely legs.

In order to maintain a strong, steady posture that does not show fatigue after five minutes, it is important to have, among other things, strong legs. For this, I do a LOT of squats.

Tribal Fusion Fundamentals has a good squat drill section led by Moria Chappell. Also, Asharah's Modern Tribal Bellydance has a good squat section that will definitely kick your butt (and legs!) into gear.

If you're just going to do it on your own, be sure to have someone explain the proper posture to you, of course, and also be sure to lift your heels (alternating) off the floor very high for a full set in order to get the most out of your workout. That is when I truly start feeling it.

Also, shoulder flexibility is an often overlooked area for, especially, tribal fusion, but is necessary for most (if not all) types of belly dance. Rachel Brice has an Arms DVD that focuses a lot on shoulder flexibility, but simply doing "rope pulls" (where you grab an imaginary rope and pull from above your head down into your back and then from the sides into your spine) will help a lot, along with practicing a lot of shoulder work.

Finally, upper arm strength is very important for serpentine, muscular snake arms in tribal (if that's what you've chosen as your style). I don't know that there's a better way to strengthen your upper arms than to practice snake arms with your elbows lifted as high as is comfortable and to do bicep and tricep curls.

Last edited:

walladah

Hi! Good for you, starting college and bellydance!

Welcome, then to the oriental dance universe!

I have no advice to give you but some "stand back" points:

1) in class or in practicing at home, pain indicates you that you have done something wrong with the movement. Ask your teacher to help you with details that make your dancing safe.

2) be patient, esp. if you have not any previous experience with dancing. The first 2-3 months are shocking for mind and body, just like when someone wakes you up in the morning! we need some time to really wake up!

3) attach to music you really like! it helps both body and mind (and soul) to dance, because it moves you from within.

Enjoy!

Anjali

Thank you all of you for the diverse and insightful comments. I do not have much dance experience, but I do spend a lot of time dancing individually (to music I especially like, it makes all the difference!). I have a lot of flexibility, but I will look into Tribal Fusion drills as well as get into some sort of flexibility exercise program.

Thank you for the welcome! I am just starting but I have a feeling this is going to be a very rewarding experience. :)

Last edited:

zahra

Pilates, yoga, as mentioned above are excellent. Ballet barre workouts
are very helpful-check out Cardiobarre,Fluidity,and Bar Method.
Portable ballet barres are often available on Craigs list at an inexpensive
price.

The Fluidity Bar :: A Classic Fitness Tool Re-invented for a Totally Modern Workout

If you are new to dance, try Nia. It is a great workout (there are dvds
available) and it will allow you to be move comfortable with dance movement
in general.

Nia | Through Movement We Find Health

Most of all, have fun! Belly dance can be addictive so beware!:dance::dance: