Wrist tapping

jen28

Lately in some performance videos I've seen dancers tapping their fore heads with their wrists or tapping their wrists together. Does this come from a Middle Eastern dance form? If so, which one?

Mariesaffron

wrist tapping

that is called 'house hold gesturing', and is a most in Romani Gypsy Dance, Turks use it because their dance is rooted in Rom, Marie

Mariesaffron

Wrist tapping

Artemis Mourat teach this tapping in her workshops, you can tapp your hips, your arms, your knees, your forehead, grind with your hands closed, with one arm circle in front you grind with the oposite, I took a workshop with her and this moves are really eassy to master, they are good to spice up a dance, you got to master skirt and foot work too. Marie

Maria_Aya

Yes it is used in Turkish Gypsy Rom, but not only.
Very often we see it in Khalegee dance's and also in Egyptian Shabi.
In greek its an expression of inside pain, and we use it also in funurals.
I have the feeling that in Turkish dance its more joy and in arab dance closer to the greek feeling, heart pain.

Maria Aya

Kiraze

I think that touching forehead with wrist is quite universal gesture of showing pain or frustration... also in Turkey.

Generally in Turkish dances those touching gestures come from Roma dances and they are just gestures and do not have any specific meaning - these are usually quite quick "snaps" so I do not think that the original question was about these.

Sara Abou Farhat

Hi everyone,

I agree with the other suggestions and I've also seen the wrist tapping gesture during a performance of Mohamed Mounirs "So ya so", to indicate being arrested. Also by Khaleegy dance, miming the women dabbing perfume on their wrists.

Happy Boxing Day ( or St. Stephens Day) and of course, happy dancing!

Sara Abou Farhat

Safran

Cool to see how many things you can express by the tapping :) I have seen it used in a Khaleegy dance as well as in a cane saidi. In the latter, you would tap your forehead,shoulder and hip with the wrist; and a shoulder and the hip with the cane.

Gosh, I just got the image of tapping your forehead with a cane :shok:

LeylaLanty

I've seen men from Iraq doing the wrist tapping on the forehead while dancing. Also Egyptian women. I'm not sure just what either sets of people would mean by it.

TribalDancer

I know there is no "one" meaning for this, but I had long heard the rumor that in Rom dancing it can mean "How much are you willing to pay? Look at me, at how much I am worth." I didn't put much truck with it until I took a workshop with Dalia Carella a few years back and she confirmed it. So it can be a little suggestive, used in certain contexts...

Shanazel

Super Moderator
This is all very interesting. I wonder if there is a signal for "You can't afford me." That might take care of some unwelcome advances...