Yoga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norma

So...I would really like to take up yoga, both for the strength and flexibility it leads to. I took a class about a month ago and really liked it, but it's at a VERY inconvenient time. (ALL the classes here are at inconvenient times...like 11:00 in the morning, when I'm at work. It's very annoying.) Anyway, I bought a mat to use at home, but I can't seem to find a good video. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Maria_Aya

There is a great greek DVD for Power Yoga by Eleni Petroulaki, but I'm not sure if it is sold abroad or on internet.
I use Yoga in my class warmup and also at the cooling down.
And 3 months ago I hosted a workshop that was Oriental-Yoga and was great!!!
On 16 July the teacher from Austria Olympia www.iaspis.at will come back in Greece and give the same workshop (was very succesfull) so I'll keep notes and I'll add some exercises over here

Maria Aya:)

gwinity

I love yoga, and if you can go to a class in your lunch break or something, it's devinitely worth it. Having a teacher is always so much better than working off a video/DVD.

But if you want a good video/DVD to work off, I adore the series from Gaiam with Patricia Walden or Suzanne Deason as instructors and keep going back to them. (I found Rodney Yee too much for a beginner!)

Ther's also Rachel Brice's "Yoga Isolations & Drills for Bellydance", but I wasn't terribly impressed with it.

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:

Kiadorin

I'm not very knowledgeable about yoga, but I have Reebok's Yoga Powersculpt video and that seems to be very effective when I use it. It tends to make me sleepy, though (maybe it's the music or something)...but maybe that's just me.

zahra

I like the series by Wai Lana. She films in beautiful outdoor settings.

The instruction is excellent!

www.wailana.com

miss_shimmy

:)

good luck with that,I hear yoga is quite a journey .
I have yogalates,its a very good combination.feels soothing but energising at the same time,though you know what you are looking for.
I love doing yoga breathing whilst i practise callanetics.

let us know how you go,I feel exited for you

hugs and smiles

amanda
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

samira shuruk

Rodney Yee has a very popular series that is also good quality (the two do not always go hand in hand).
If you can, keep looking for a class- it's always best to have in person instruction, especially at first.

lylyth

I have 2 of the crunch series and I loved them: joy of yoga and fat burning yoga. Both strengthen and stretch very well, as well as keeping you in shape :D
Another thing you could try is budocon: http://www.budokon.com/. It really helped me to loose some of the baby fat I have gained

Norma

I'm going to check out some of the videos you guys have suggested. I do have good news, though. I'm changing jobs at the end of August and it will mean getting off work earlier. That should make it possible to go to at least two yoga classes, I think. Woo hoo!

HeavyHip'd

I also like Wai Lana yoga. But recently I have been doing Namaste yoga. Its sort of a hatha-vinyasa style, so it has repetitive sequences. Although it does focus on meditation and the more spiritual side of yoga--which in my opinion most yoga programs don't, you could still get a good workout from the smooth, repetitive, some times fast and some times slow, sequences.

miss_shimmy

asana

which pose/asana do you love the most?mine has to be the swan,makes me feel so stretched and energised.

smiles

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

Moon

Hi all, I have my first yoga lesson next wednesday :) I'm very curious if I'll like it. Could you recomment me what kind of clothes to wear? Thanks.

gwinity

You'll love it, Moon. :) Wear something comfortable - stretchy pants that you can bend in, a t-shirt, bare feet.... like you would for dancing!

lylyth

You'll love it, Moon. :) Wear something comfortable - stretchy pants that you can bend in, a t-shirt, bare feet.... like you would for dancing!

I second that completely. Be sure that your clothing doesn’t interfere with your range of motion, as in yoga you move a lot in all directions ;)

miss_shimmy

hi moon

I always wear harem pants for dancing,but yeh for yoga something very loose,light and comfortable.:)

Can't wait to hear if you enjoyed it

hugs and smiles

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

emina

Hi everyone,

I am back again after a longer time, so I have noticed that some things changed here. Logging in again etc...

Talking about Yoga, I think I have interesting suggestion. My mother practice it for 20 years and me also with her. When I moved to live alone, she left me one interesting book, that I can use as a Yoga guide (or Guru :) )
This is the book:

Author: Paramhansa Swami Maheshvarananda
Title: "Yoga in everyday life"

Great book with Asana illustrations and detailed explanations about everything in yoga. The system of Asanas is related to Pantajali`s Yoga.
Also yoga is great for dancing (any kind) because it increases elasticity of muscles and strength, also gives full attention to backbone. Especially I must say that Pranajama, the breathing exercises make you use your full lung capacity and breathe normally so you do not get into situations of "losing breath" during the dance. Many other good things about yoga that makes you better dancer...balance, coordination, concentration, freshness, energy, elasticity, health in one word! I am for Yoga in everyday practice.

For exercise, you need just loosen wear, one asura, and some peaceful space. Nothing demanding!

Love.
Emina

miss_shimmy

:)

wow thats so inspiring emina,thankyou so much

thats amazing that your mum does Yoga,and now you do it too,my little boy has been doing yoga with me.

hugs and smiles

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

Status
Not open for further replies.