Zills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachy

Anyone use them? How do you know if they are "good" ones or not. I saw a TON on ebay, and wanted a pair, and then kept seeing many different kinds. Will different ones sound different? What about if they are made for children to play with?

TIA!

Kiadorin

Yes, different ones do have very different sounds. Some zill-makers have audio clips on their websites so you get an idea of what suits you. Some examples: http://www.saroyanzils.com/ and http://www.fingercymbals.com/

I'm no expert on the subject, but I do think you'll be better off in the long run if you buy from a reputable zill-maker right from the beginning instead of going for something of unknown quality on ebay. May cost a few dollars more, but at least you'll know what you're getting. Plus, if you end up with the kind that have little weight and resonance (like my first set), it may be a bit more difficult to readjust to the real thing.

Last edited:

Inanna

From my own personal experience I would recommend getting a student pair of zills to start with, as they are a little cheaper and a bit smaller in size. I first started with a professional pair and they were really big and akward and heavy for me, and I had a hard time learning on them. My teacher then loaned me a student pair and I had an easier time mastering the technique since I wasnt fumbling with the larger pair. Now I am much more skilled at using my professional pair, so the smaller zills were kind of like training wheels for me..lol. But some of the other girls in my class didnt have as hard of time with the larger pair, but thats just my two cents. :)

Kiadorin

Oh, I agree with you, Inanna. I wouldn't recommend starting with the biggest things on the market. I just meant to avoid those really bad cheap sets that aren't even actual brass.

slinks

Always go for two holes and not one.... single one holed ones are wonky and will end up annoying you... start with student ones then move up .... Saroyon are a good brand to get your first beautiful "real" zills from :)

Michelle

As mentioned above, Saroyan is a quality brand and probably your best bet for your first pro pair. Because different materials and material density affect the sound, not all zills are the same. To demonstrate this, I am giving you the link to an online store that actually has sound files for the zills they sell so you can get an idea of what the differences mean in terms of the sound they produce (I've never used this particular site for purchases so I don't know if they are good or not but I found this particular section to be very useful!):
http://www.thebellydanceshop.com/products.php?id=18
:)

Norma

My first pair of zills were cheapies and it didn't take long before I grew very dissatisfied with how they sounded and felt. I asked around and my teacher recommended Saroyan. Some of my fellow students also had zills from Turquoise that were nice. I ended up going with the Saroyan Nefertitis, though, and I love them! They're very reasonably priced and they're very nice student zills. Good size, good weight, good tone. I've been taking a zills class all summer and I'm looking at upgrading a bit now. Of course, like hip scarves and anything else dance-related, I want every set of zills I see now. :)

You will definitely want two holes--like slinks said!!!

Suhad

I started out with a $5 pair of no - name zils but HATED the sound of them. Totally dissonant and NOT tuned with each other in the slightest. Thankfully, someone "borrowed" them for several months at a drum circle so I was able to justify getting a pair of Saroyan Nefertiti zils that I used until this past week.

I am soooooo excited!!! I got a pair of Zildjian zills this past Tuesday cuz my instructor said it was time for me to graduate to a professional pair. What a GREAT sound! They are definitely LOUD and heavier than I am used to but what a treat!

I agree with the previous posters about Saroyan -- for the best price and the best quality you can't go wrong getting a set of probably anything he makes.

Aaeesha

I second (or third rather) Saroyan zills. I recommend to my students just starting with zills to purchase students zills. I push for the Turkish Delights or Nefertiti. Small, easy to play, two holed, and nicely toned.

Andaleeb

The Bellydance Shop, Charlotte, NC

As mentioned above, Saroyan is a quality brand and probably your best bet for your first pro pair. Because different materials and material density affect the sound, not all zills are the same. To demonstrate this, I am giving you the link to an online store that actually has sound files for the zills they sell so you can get an idea of what the differences mean in terms of the sound they produce (I've never used this particular site for purchases so I don't know if they are good or not but I found this particular section to be very useful!):
http://www.thebellydanceshop.com/products.php?id=18
:)

I'm taking lessons in Charlotte, NC - home of The Bellydance Shop - and I bought my beginner zills from them at the open house of the dance studio. They seem like they're really good quality, they weren't too expensive, and their staff is friendly, knowledgable, and good to deal with. I highly recommend them! (I also got a hip scarf from them and it was great quality as well).

Andaleeb

Great zills!

Wow! Those are beautiful! I assume you ordered them from the site whose link you posted? How was your shopping experience with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.