COVID-19

Ariadne

So, the more news that comes out about what the Chinese government has done the more angry I’m becoming.

• There’s a growing belief that the virus came out of one of their labs in Wuhan that just wasn’t taking proper security measures.
  • The government shut up their own drs who spoke up initially, covered it up letting it out of the country, all while claiming that it couldn’t be passed person to person.
  • They got the WHO to back them up and announce that it wasn’t anything to worry about even when Taiwan was saying otherwise. (This isn’t a slam on the WHO, just their current president whose campaign was paid for by, guess who, China.)
  • They’re paying money to the families in Wuhan who’ve had members die so they won’t talk to anyone about what really is happening there. Even though everyone knows they’re lying about their numbers of both infected and fatalities.
  • And now we find out that at the same time they were telling the world “nothing to see here“ they stopped the export of PPE (N95 respirator masks, gloves, goggles, etc.) manufactured in their country (3M and Honeywell) while buying up everything they could get on the world market.

We’re talking more then two billion items. And then they had the audacity to try and come across as all humanitarian by manufacturing their own “emergency supplies” of COVID-19 test kits and N95-like masks which they shipped by the millions to countries that were the hardest hit only for their products to be defective causing mass recalls on the masks and a failures rate of 70-80% on the tests.

What kind of person goes, “hey, looks like we have another SARs outbreak. Let’s hide that it came from us rather then doing something about it. Oh, and while we’re at it I wonder if we can make a profit?” It’s either that or at the same time they were lying to the world and NOT closing their border they actually NEEDED those billions of products for themselves which only makes their denial just that much more damning for not quarantining themselves.

[edit: Or they're using it to leverage for world power considering I just read that China told France they would give France the 1 billion masks they asked for if they "implement 5G with Huawei". I'm sure the tech geeks here can tell the rest of us what kind of advantage/control that would give China over countries that comply. So the tactic seems to be horde the world supply then demand money or concessions in return for the products needed to SAVE LIVES. There is something seriously wrong with the government in China. ]

... I guess that’s my rant for today. I just felt the need to get it out. Please go on.

In personal news I’m spending today making cloth masks for my entire extended family since there is new evidence that CoVID19 can be passed just by breathing on or talking to someone so there is now a voluntary order for people to wear cloth masks any time they’re in public just in case they’re carriers and don’t know it. Anyone want pictures when I’m done?

Last edited:

Shanazel

I'm rethinking the whole mask thing at this point. At least I'd be able to breath under one of those.

Ariadne

masks1.png

They're not quite done, I've worked myself into a fibromyagia attack making them, but with some help they should be finished today. the stack of fabric on the left top of the picture is more fabric that has already been cut for additional masks. The three that are finished are the two star wars and one pink in the upper right corner. They have been made with a channel on each side to run the string or elastic through to tie them on.

I spent the entire first day (Monday) just cutting out fabric. Tuesday and Wednesday was ironing, pleating, and sewing. Today I break out my denim sewing machine for the side trim because it's not nice to my regular singer to try and get it to sew through all the layers.

Ariadne

Here are the pictures resized.

1587009501840.png
There was a second one made like the one in the bottom left corner but it went early to someone with some severe health issues. It's not your imagination, the ones in the left-most column are larger then the other ones. The (same) person they're for is likewise larger (well over 6' tall).
The white paper on the top right is a name pinned to a specific mask going to a specific person. They were all done to order based on the fabric and trim I had; I just wanted to make sure it didn't get mixed up with the one right below it since they were going to different places.
1587009516720.png
The ones for my own immediate family. The Star Wars white/black one was made by my MIL for my husband but we finished it off for him with trim and lacing. She also provided the blue Star Wars fabric we turned into two masks for one of my boys.
1587009529388.png
These are for the family of our God-children. The ones on the right have been sized for 2-6yrs and 6-10 yrs of age. They were so excited to get them that evidently they had to show them off to their cousins over video.

Most of them are lined with cotton flannel because we couldn't get pellon at first and when I could it only made four adult masks and six children's ones. The ones that are already strung have been strung with t-shirt cord cut from old shirts I had been holding onto for another project.

All total we made 50 masks for 20 people and I have materials for more if we end up needing them but I'm hoping we won't. Knock on wood.

Salome

Administrator
Sheltering at home and staying that way except for essential needs. Grateful to be healthy and OK but also going a little crazy some days, lol.

Shanazel

At the moment, my biggest essential need is going without fulfillment. I don't think I've ever gone this long without a trip to the library.

Ariadne

Our county library system has instituted curbside pickup. You put the books on hold through the online catalog system, they email you when the books are ready to be picked up, and then you call and arrange a pick up time you can go to the library, call when you get there and they bring them out to you. Returns are through the outside drops.

And I'm definitely going a little crazy some days lately.

Shanazel

Ours is simply closed until further notice. Given the volume of use, they'd have to hire extra librarians to provide curbside assistance.

Daimona

It seems we're over the first wave and society is loosening up a bit on the restrictions and kindergardens and elementary schools are starting up this or next week. My employer, on the other hand, is very cautious and we're not yet allowed to use public transport to/from work. I guess I have to work from home for about at least the next next month... But I'm not complaining - both me and my family and loved ones are safe and sound.

Continue to stay safe, everyone!