Galit Mersand's Bellylicious

atisheh

I have a new review up on my site of Galit Mersand's cabaret/bellydance show, Bellylicious, and I thought it would fit in this category:

atisheh: dance and fitness views and reviews: Review of Galit Mersand's Bellylicious

It seems there are more and more shows that mix oriental dance with something theatrical, which I think is a really cool development. I love watching the dance alone, but I think it's also great that dancers are experimenting with different ways to frame it.

Duvet

I've enjoyed Galit's shows. As the article notes, what makes it so good is that the humour is matched by excellent dancing. Its well worth catching one of her performances.

But I disagree with the articles first line - "Humour and bellydance don't often seem to mix." They always do at the parties I go to! ;)

Aniseteph

I also think belly dance and humour is a natural combination, but I could be biased by the fact that Galit has been my teacher for many years. IIRC I've been to three Bellyliciouses :)confused:) - they have evolved over the years, and they are always a fun night out, never a dull moment. I am so glad you liked it and I hope you've sent her a copy of your review.

atisheh

But I disagree with the articles first line - "Humour and bellydance don't often seem to mix." They always do at the parties I go to! ;)

I'm so glad -- I was hoping people would disagree with me on that. I think I'm just a little tired of some of the seriousness I've been around (and not from pros). For me the dance is so playful and joyful that I can't really bear it. (I'm also a mom with a job, so I don't see why I would spend my time dancing being dour.)

atisheh

I also think belly dance and humour is a natural combination, but I could be biased by the fact that Galit has been my teacher for many years. IIRC I've been to three Bellyliciouses :)confused:) - they have evolved over the years, and they are always a fun night out, never a dull moment. I am so glad you liked it and I hope you've sent her a copy of your review.

That's cool to hear! It did seem to me like a lot of the audience, at least the female audience, knew their way around a hip drop.

I have of course sent her the link. She had sent me a review copy of the video, and I always send artists a link to their review.