Hello from Portugal!

LissaC

I've been fascinated by belly dancing since I was a teen, but only had the courage to take my first class at 29, and in the middle of a pandemic!:D

I am a baby belly dancer only on my second month of practice and lessons but I'm excited to be here and learn from you.

See you soon,

Lissa

LissaC

Nope. I met him because of a mutual interest in the Goddess Athena.

Do you like mythology? It's one of my interests along with history. I recently finished a book about Middle Eastern Mythology, and ordered Kramer and Wolkenstein's book about Inanna

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Very much into mythology - Greek and Egyptian in particular. Tell me more about the Inanna book...

LissaC

Great to see we have a group of mythology fans here :D Greek mythology is a classic, I love it too, but was fascinated with Egyptian mythology when I discovered it, I find it darker. Sumerian mythology feels more human, closer to us, but with a remarkably dark side too.

@Zorba Inanna/Ishtar supposedly influenced Astarte and Aphrodite. I'm also looking for a book on something like comparative mythology, something that ties it all together and explains which deities influenced others, if you have recommendations please share.

Shanazel

You might enjoy The Women's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets by Barbara G. Walker. It was first published about 1996 and is a thoroughly feminist viewpoint of world mythology. I don't see eye to eye with her on everything, but it is an interesting compilation.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
@Zorba Inanna/Ishtar supposedly influenced Astarte and Aphrodite. I'm also looking for a book on something like comparative mythology, something that ties it all together and explains which deities influenced others, if you have recommendations please share.
Who also influenced the Mighty Isis. I've heard Inanna=Ishtar=Astarte lots of places - what I haven't figured out is Osiris.

Tourbeau

Tardy to the party, but welcome!

Now, I'm going to hop over to your other thread and bore everybody with an insanely long, pedantic essay on ME musical education for dancers....