Holiday greetings 2019

Daimona

Happy winter solstice!

I'm looking forward to more light in the months to come. Only 4.5 h of daylight today.

Shanazel

In my family, the return of the sun is so important that we celebrate it for nine days, so I'm not late in saying Happy Yule. (My story and I'm sticking to it.) We theoretically get nine hours of sunlight this time of year (7:34 a.m. to 4: 35 p.m.) but since we live in a dip between high ridges, our actual time is closer to 8.25 hours. Still better than Norway.

Ariadne

Happy winter solstice, Chanukah, Christmas, and all other holidays this season!

(A family member was born on solstice and I've never had a problem remembering their B-day. ;) )

Daimona

Ok, I might have been a day late, but I was indisposed yesterday because I had a big performance (concert) to focus on.

Shanazel

No problem! It's so dark up there right now that I'm not surprised if days sneak past without you noticing. What kind of concert, if I may be so nosy?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
... and the sun comes up ....
.... about 10 in the morning, and the sun goes down...
... about 3 in the day.

Daimona

We theoretically get nine hours of sunlight this time of year (7:34 a.m. to 4: 35 p.m.) but since we live in a dip between high ridges, our actual time is closer to 8.25 hours. Still better than Norway.

We'll beat you on in the summer, tough. In 6 months, in won't get really dark and we'll only have a few hours of twilight at "night" and if you stay really up north, you'll forget to go to bed because the sun is up. :LOL:
Choir concert, btw.

Shanazel

We'll beat you on in the summer, tough. In 6 months, in won't get really dark and we'll only have a few hours of twilight at "night" and if you stay really up north, you'll forget to go to bed because the sun is up. :LOL:
Choir concert, btw.

True enough about summer! Furthest north I've ever been is somewhere in the Highlands northwest of Gorstan, Scotland and Jasper, Alberta in Canada; they're roughly the same latitude. Furthest south was Mexico City. I'd love to see the midnight sun, but my daughter is planning our trip to Iceland for October when we're more likely to see the northern lights. Maybe I'll get that far north again someday.

Ariadne

... and the sun comes up ....
.... about 10 in the morning, and the sun goes down...
... about 3 in the day.
I hated that when I lived in Vernon, BC. Only it was more like up around 11am and down by 2:30pm. Not my favorite time. Cold enough for hoarfrost and everyone was depressed from a lack of sun.

Shanazel

When I met my husband, I was moving north and he was moving south. I wouldn't go any further south because of the heat, and he wouldn't go any further north because he said he didn't like the way daylight and darkness was arranged. Ergo, four-plus decades in Wyoming. Almost five for him.

Ariadne

And you studied the mojave rattlers? However did you survive the heat? Or was that why you moved north?

Shanazel

And you studied the mojave rattlers? However did you survive the heat? Or was that why you moved north?

My tolerance got lower as I got older, but I was always a shade seeker. I only got to make one trip to the desert to actually seek out Mojave greens, but the experience was worth the heat. It was in October, so not quite as intense as it might've been in July.

Happy Christmas Eve to all who celebrate it, and happy Hanukkah to all who celebrate that, and happy Solstice to all who celebrate that. And if you don't celebrate anything, have a nice day anyway.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I hated that when I lived in Vernon, BC. Only it was more like up around 11am and down by 2:30pm. Not my favorite time. Cold enough for hoarfrost and everyone was depressed from a lack of sun.
That's from a song about Harlan, Ky - and that's the summer sun! Deep "hollers" make for short days!

Greek Bonfire

First thing I do every morning when I wake up is to see when the sun sets. I am anticipating more sun filled days. Funny, my dad was stationed in Alaska for a year and he loved the way half the year was all light and the other half almost all darkness. How can I be his kid???