Torn ligament :-(

Amulya

I fell today and tore a ligament in my ankle, now I'm on crutches and wonder if I have to invent crutch belly dance fusion :mad:. It pisses me off so much, I was dancing everyday and getting really fit, but this will set me back.
How long does it take to heal I wonder?

Kharis

I fell today and tore a ligament in my ankle, now I'm on crutches and wonder if I have to invent crutch belly dance fusion :mad:. It pisses me off so much, I was dancing everyday and getting really fit, but this will set me back.
How long does it take to heal I wonder?
Aw, honeybun!!! I tore my cruciate ligament a few years ago and also my plantar fascia. Both too months to heal. The cruciate around 6 months, the plantar around 9 months. Mind you, I was solely making a living dancing at that time, and had to keep dancing on the injuries. Had I totally rested them, I would most likely have healed faster. Try to get some Reiki. It does help along healing.

Jujube

So sorry to hear that, Amulya! I'm sending you healing thoughts. Maybe you can work on sewing projects during your down time help the time pass?

Nath

Ouch! Sending healing thoughts your way. Crutches would make for a very novel prop. I just can't see you dancing while balancing it on your hip though. :lol:

maria_harlequin

Oh no! I'm very sorry :(

You can work on upper body isolatons and graceful arm work while you're healing. Also Suhaila glute squeezes! You can also practice your zills :)

Here's some inspiration...this guy can salsa with a crutch and only one leg!!

Amulya

Maria that guy is amazing! You totally forget he's got one leg, he's so natural.

I'm terrible on crutches, after 10 meters of walking I some sort of slump off them, doesn't help I suffer from chronic fatigue. Lucky I have been told I'm allowed to slowly start exersizing to walk a little bit on my foot. So I have been hapily doing that :). I bought arnica tablets and cream to make the healing process faster and bought a ankle brace. That thing really helps! I can acually stumble around on that thing :lol:

Nath my crutch balancing is just as bad as my sword balancing....

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Oh dear you poor thing, Yes arnica is amazing, apply it liberally, it should help heaps. Just don't overdo the walking and exercising. Be gentle with yourself. Torn ligaments can take quite a long time to fully heal. Did the doc say how bad a tear it was? Bad ones can takes several months.

My husband's took around 6 weeks for reasonable weightbearing and about 3 to months for his ankle to feel normal again, it remained slightly swollen for several months.

Are you having any physio or will you be having any?
~Mosaic

Amulya

It's healing pretty quickly, I can hobble around a little bit but use crutches most of the time. I have used every medicine I could think off and it seems to help. I get physio next week, but only once because I'm travelling oversees. This couldn't come at a worst moment really!

Kharmine

Sorry to hear about the pain and inconvenience, kiddo!

Try to add more Vitamin C and CoQ10 at least a couple of times a day -- that will help speed the healing. Your nutrition has be as well-rounded as possible for healing and energy, so if you can't manage it completely with meals, make sure you've got some good supplements to fill in the gaps.

Also, consider some daily hatha yoga practice to keep limber and flexible -- you're probably already having to re-adjust and compensate physically for the way you stand, move and even sit, so yoga will help you from acquiriing other problems from that.