Yana at Ya Halla Y'all, 2013

Shanazel

Yana

The optical images of the veil were interesting and I'd love to get a close look at how that bra is constructed in the back.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
An incredible performance! I'm not a real fan of those "Grand Canyon" bras, but she's an incredible performer! I subscribed to her channel, and I don't subscribe to many.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
"Grand Canyon" - super wide cleavage that looks like a pop-out is imminent. Those just make me a bit nervous. But yea, she's fantastic! I just sent the video to my teacher here - "Our next troupe costume!". Teacher wouldn't be caught dead in a skirt like that - although I could be talked into it, even though I don't particularly like the idea of shaving my legs and it would be a bit scary for me! ;)

Shanazel

Sigh. I used to have the body for that skirt though even when I did, I only wore such things for venues that paid a little more cash for a little more flash.

a pop-out is imminent Spray on glue is a wondrous thing. :cool:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Sigh. I used to have the body for that skirt though even when I did, I only wore such things for venues that paid a little more cash for a little more flash.
... little more cash for a little more flash... - love it! I may have told this story before, but our eldest in the folkloric troupe I was in for many years, danced in the Moulin Rouge and other Paris venues just after the war. They came to her and told her she could double her earnings if she'd take her top off. "So I took my top off", she said!
a pop-out is imminent Spray on glue is a wondrous thing. :cool:
So I've heard, my teacher is fond of double stick tape! But as another teacher frequently told me, "NEVER terrify your audience!".

Shanazel

"NEVER terrify your audience!"

:ROFLMAO: Wouldn't it be more like titillation in this case?

I learned about spray on glue from a beauty pageant sort of gal who told me entrants used it to keep the backs of their swimsuits from sliding up their hips into awkward places. She also told me that she'd get dry mouthed with nerves during a pageant and would put a bit of petroleum jelly on her teeth to keep her lips from sticking when she smiled; also made her teeth gleam. She had some other tricks, but those are the only ones I can recall off hand.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Yea, I guess. I'm certainly NOT the typical male when I'm watching Belly Dance - I've seen enough bra malfunctions in my time for me to A) Be glad I don't wear one, and B) Be terrified at the first hint of such a thing!

I've heard of the Vaseline trick - in fact, I've used it a time or two. Feels ucky and tastes worse - the sacrifices we make for our art. I've also been taught how to wave for a very long period of time, such as you'll see on floats and such. And any number of tricks involving skirts - some taught to me, others figured out "the hard way"! And weird stuff one does with makeup, nails, and hair! As one of my teachers explained to me, "We women were raised with this stuff, you're having to play catch-up!".

Shanazel

Interestingly enough, I was not raised with makeup and nails though my mother was a bit obsessed with my hair (I liked long and straight, she wanted me to get a short, permed, lacquered helmet of traditional southern girl circa 1965 hair). I never developed a fondness for makeup and painted talons, either, but I learned to use the miserable stuff because it was part of the job. Always made me feel like a Barbie doll. I did take to pedicures after I had my first one ten or twelve years ago. Paint on my toes makes me smile. Paint on my finger tips makes me feel like my nails are too tight. 😜

Waving: I read somewhere that Queen Elizabeth taught her daughters-in-law to use a hand motion like opening a jar when waving for long periods of time.

Ariadne

Paint on my toes makes me smile. Paint on my finger tips makes me feel like my nails are too tight. 😜
Yes! It's not just me!

I need to decide what color my toes will be this week. Maybe it will cheer me up. I'm going just a little stir crazy.

Shanazel

I like colors ranging from pale pinks to deep berry reds. Tried purple and some other candy colors and just wasn't happy with them. I love purple but having it on my nails made me think of the time the horse stepped on my foot.

Ariadne

I love metallics, wine colors, deep reds, and black. Right now my toes are a sort of bronze color from the last time. The time before that was black. Maybe I'll go pearl. I haven't done pearl in a looong time.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I keep my toenails "pedi-ed" and colored always. Went through a phase of fingernails - a couple or three years of "Lady Gaga" pointed ones. They were a TON of fun, but vulnerable and expensive. Was taught the right way to open soda cans with them...