Music again ?

khanjar

Those wonderous rhythms, Ayyoub, Beledi, Chiftitelli, Maqsoum, Masmoudi and Saidi, what do they actually translate as ?

I have heard Ayyoub was coined from a Cairenne radio station show, and Chiftitelli, is of Greek origin, but is Turkish for Belly dance, is this correct ?

I am just one of those people that needs to understand the origin of a word to explore it and with comfort, use it.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Those wonderous rhythms, Ayyoub, Beledi, Chiftitelli, Maqsoum, Masmoudi and Saidi, what do they actually translate as ?

I have heard Ayyoub was coined from a Cairenne radio station show,

I've never heard that -- can you cite your source?

Ayoub is a boy's name too.

Muslim: from Arabic Ayyūb, the Arabic form of the Hebrew (Biblical) name Īyōb ‘Job’. In the suras he is regarded as a messenger of Allah. This name is borne by Christians (in Lebanon and elsewhere) as well as by Muslims. The spread of the name among Muslims is partly due to the fame of Ṭalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb (Saladin), founder of the Ayyubid dynasty.

Baladi comes from the root word Balad -- meaning country.

Maqsoum supposedly means broken or cut in half.

Saidi is an adjective referring to the Said region in Upper Egypt. There is a rhythm common to dances of the Said, so we call it Saidi.

Chiftitelli, is of Greek origin, but is Turkish for Belly dance, is this correct ?

No, Tsiftitelli is a kind of Greek dance but it is not belly dance. It looks like it, with a similar movement vocabulary, but it's not the Turkish translation of "bellydance." I believe that's usually translated as Oryantal Tanz or Oriental dance.

Tsiftitelli or Chiftetelli means two-string.

From Morocco's website:
CHIFTE TELLI: (Turkish) literally "2 strings", here refers to the Turkish/Greek name of a specific rhythm used in most Oriental dances till the '80s, usually very slow for performances & much faster for the social version. Arabic name for it was "wahad w noss" or "dar w noss"

Fellahi comes from fellahin, a collective (plural) word meaning peasant or farmer, and it's a folk rhythm or a rhythm "of the folk people."

Karachi is a region in Pakistan, and that's supposedly wher that rhythm comes from.

Wahda wa noss means one and one half, and refers to the 2 parts of that rhythm.

Karsilama and antikrystos both supposedly mean "face to face" in terms of a greeting between 2 people. The Karsilama was originally a couples' dance.

:)

Last edited:

turkishboy

Karsilama and antikrystos both supposedly mean "face to face" in terms of a greeting between 2 people. The Karsilama was originally a couples' dance.

That's true,
In Anatolia, Karsilama is a dance is made by couples (usually men and women couples) with face to face position.

The meaning of karsilama in Turkish (as a noun) is "welcome (somebody)"

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
There is some evidence that the masmoudi rhythms were used in early muwashahat music and have a more art-music basis than the maqsum which is currently found in a lot of folk songs.
The Masmouda are one of the three main groups of Berbers in Morocco. They live west of the Rif and Grand and Middle Atlas in Morocco. "Masmouda" may also be used to refer to the region.
a quote from this page
Jas's-- Middle Eastern Rhythms FAQ (for dumbec, doumbec, doumbek, arabic tabla, darabuka, tombak, zarb ...) : Rhythms for Dumbek and Belly Dance

khanjar

I have heard Ayyoub was coined from a Cairenne radio station show,

I've never heard that -- can you cite your source?

I had read that from a drummer's forum I was nosing about on, so, it might be erroneous knowledge, or even one of those things very few people know.