Hello (and asking for advice) from NYC!

RayaDancer

Hi Everyone! This is my first post on this forum; I'm excited to find people from all over the world that share my passion for the dance! I was wondering if anyone can help me. I've been dancing for 7 years, i'm confident in my skills, and i want to start performing more, perhaps make some money doing it. (i'm currently unemployed, so it would help!)
I just really dont know how to go about doing it...do i just go to a restaurant and tell them i'm a dancer? do i need a dance 'resume'? I don't have much performance experience except for a few student showcases. any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

Imeera

Welcome to the forum!! I am just a beginner with no real experience but I would have a website and advertise yourself that way. Most people search on the internet these days. Good luck!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. I will leave the advise to our US based friends, they will know what works best in your part of the world. I think it is a great idea to seek work as a dancer, good luck and I hope you get the advise that will put you on the right track.
~Mosaic

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Welcome Raya!

Let your teacher know that you are interested in performing professionally. He/She would be the first person to talk to because he/she probably has contacts "in the biz." Do any of her other students dance professionally? If so, where, and can you get on the list as a substitute?

I don't live there, but I have heard the job situation in New York is very slim and you will be up against some tough competition.

What I would do is check out the scene. Go to some of the places you would like to dance, and introduce yourself to the house dancer, or the dancer who schedules the entertainment. You can approach her with a "dance resume" and your availability. This is probably the easiest way to get your foot in the door, and the most business-like.

What I would suggest you NOT do is offer to dance for free, or for a discounted rate, or anything else that would hurt the professional standards already set. That will win you zero friends, a lot of enemies, and less than a living wage for an entire evening's commitment. !

RayaDancer

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
That is definitely good advice; i dont know if my teacher still dances in restaurants anymore; i think she just teaches, but i know she used to, so i will definitely ask her! Thanks!:D

Gia al Qamar

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
That is definitely good advice; i dont know if my teacher still dances in restaurants anymore; i think she just teaches, but i know she used to, so i will definitely ask her! Thanks!:D

Most assuredly ask. All the NYC teachers that I know still perform in theatrical shows and showcases in NYC...so they can certainly direct you to the correct way to present yourself professionally. Walking into a restaurant and offering your services before you know about things like what the going rate for performances is would be disaster. Some of the country's best dancers work regularly in the best bistros in NYC...if you haven't appeared in student showcases at some venues...maybe you should inquire about that first...