Do you ever wear hair extensions?

astro_girl

I have long strawberry blond hair that could use a little oomph, and I find more often than not I don't bother with hot curlers and lots of goop before (the few times lately) I perform...but I like loose curls and/or waves worn down.

I know it's not uncommon to wear wigs or extensions in some forms of dance, and I'm wondering what you think about doing so for BD? I think it'd be a quicker way to give one's costume an extra punch.

If you use these, do you use clips or a full-on wig, and where would you suggest I look if I'm on a budget? TIA!

LilithNoor

Hair pieces are really popular with a lot of the dancers I know, who want either extra length or more volume (or both!)

I used to have a cheap clip in ponytail that about doubled the length and volume of my hair. Up close it was clearly fake, but onstage, glammed up with flowers and accessories, it looked great.

Sadly I have since dyed my hair bright red and the chances of matching it are slim to none, so I'm back to working with what nature gave me!

I recommend starting off with a cheap synthetic hairpiece that roughly matches your hair colour, and seeing how you like dancing with it in. If you love it, then start expanding your collection!

Bast

I already have long hair but if it is a special performance I will sometimes add in a hairpiece. I have a really long curly one that is the same colour as my hair.

To integrate it into my hairstyle, i first make a small ponytail at the top of my head, curl it up into a little bun, fit the hair piece over the bun, then use plenty of heavy duty hair pins to secure.

I wear a headband in front of it and take little pieces of hair from around the headband and secure them with pins up and around the area where the hair piece is.

I have found I can swing my head around as much as I like without it coming loose. I found it quite cheaply on ebay from hong kong. It is synthetic but it feels very soft and much like hair.

Starmouth

I'm glad someone brought this topic up, I've been wanting to ask for ages!

I usually wear a ponytail extension - it was a reasonably nice one I found on ebay, very good match to my own hair colour and looks fairly realistic, but I would love to wear my hair down for a change. My hair is just past shoulder length, dark brown and fairly fine and straight - how can I bulk it up? I really want gorgeous long thick hair, but I can't work out how you would wear a wig without it slipping, and half wigs always seem to be attached to a headband - doesn't seem safe to me!

Are there special wigs made for dancers?

LadyFatima

I used to have a head of long, thick hair.

Unfortuntely around the age of 13 or 14 my hair started falling out (unevenly, I might add) I'm 20 now and my hair still hasn't fully grown back. . .:(

It seriously used to go down to the middle of my back, now it barely reaches to my neck. . .:rolleyes:

I've seen lots of clips of belly dancers (usually dancers from the 50's and 60's though) who had short hair styles and looked absolutely stunning. However, due to personal taste, I REFUSE to do performances with short hair, and as a matter of fact, I plan on investing in some hair extensions no later than the end of May. I think I may buy a wig or two sometime down the line. . .:think:

I think that a dancers performance can be amazing with or without long hair. But luckily those of us who DO prefer to have long, thick locks. . .actually HAVE the option of wearing the wigs, extensions, etc. . .:D

Ariadne

I really want gorgeous long thick hair, but I can't work out how you would wear a wig without it slipping, and half wigs always seem to be attached to a headband - doesn't seem safe to me!

Are there special wigs made for dancers?

I've read about dancers buying the half wigs, removing the head band and throwing it away, then sewing in serious wig clips instead. I understand they hold very well.

gisela

Super Moderator
I have a wonderful hair piece. It is like a half wig but attaches horizontally on the middle of the head, under the top hair. It stays put very well and looks so natural. I love it. My hair is long but not so thick so this adds a lot of volume to the ends.

astro_girl

I have a wonderful hair piece. It is like a half wig but attaches horizontally on the middle of the head, under the top hair. It stays put very well and looks so natural. I love it. My hair is long but not so thick so this adds a lot of volume to the ends.

This is just the thing (a clip extension or similar) that I'd probably wear! Now the question is - where do you find one that's reasonably priced? And, given that I'd like to compare it to my own color before buying, seeing it IRL first is important.

Belly Love

Yup. Use to wear the clip in peices when my hair was shorter. Never came out... well, they never came out after I figured out how to put them in properly ;)

I had them for years... colored them, cut them, etc. They were great.

I got the Easiextend remy kind, which are a bit more expensive, but I used others and found that they tangled very easily. The remy ones have the hair shaft all going in the same direction like regular hair. They may have different names for it depending on the brand. I would check with the brand you buy and try to get ones like this- trust me, it will save you a lot of time not having to brush through rats nest hair, plus, it obviously looks better if you're not constantly getting rats nest hair ;)

Hair Extensions.com :: The Hair Professionals :: Clip In Extensions :: Length :: 20" easiXtend Elite Remy Human Hair Clip In Extensions (8 pcs) by easihair

Last edited:

Starmouth

Those clip-in hair extensions are gorgeous, but wow, so expensive! I think I would have to save for a good long while!

Daimona

Those clip-in hair extensions are gorgeous, but wow, so expensive! I think I would have to save for a good long while!

Keep an eye up for clip-in hair extensions on sale, you may be lucky (a friend of mine was and got it for half the ordinary price).

Amulya

Clip in ones can be cheap, but you have to look around. You can get them in African wig stores (or EBay, like these). If you want a precise hair color match (plus the structure of hair) you need real human hair wefts. You can curl them before clipping them in if you want to. They blend well in hair if they are the same lenght. If you want to really secure them, make little braids in the part where you want to clip them in and you can clip them in right on those braids, making them very secure. If you want to make them even more secure you can do a half ponytail where you put some of the sides of the clip ins into the poytail part.
Hope this all makes sense!

Oh btw you don't need little pieces like in the link belly love posted, two bigger pieces are often enough :) but it depends on how many rows are on one piece.

Last edited:

Starmouth

I may get some cheap ones just to try out. My hair is a pretty bog standard dark brown so I don't think matching will be too much of a problem. If I like how they feel, blend etc I will probably ask for some decent ones for christmas. :D

Nazeera

Personally, I love my wig and find it easier than hair extentions. My normal hair is a short bob and all I have to do is shove it in a hair net then put on the wig. I tried hair extentions when my hair was longer but could never get them to stay, even after back combing, texturizing sprays, having my hair stylist try and get the extentions to stay, etc. You may find that you may need to go to the salon and have the extentions styled into your hair so they blend and don't stand out. If you get the human hair extentions, you can always color them to match, but your right that dark brown will be fairly easy to match. Hope you find something that works for you!