Ghanili Shwaaye Shwaaye, folkloric or Raks Sharki?

Marya

I have always liked this song but I have some versions that sound folkloric and some that sound suitable for Raks Sharki. The original seems more folkloric but what do others think?

Marya

Jane

Agreed!

I like Fatme Serhan's re-make too. I can't find the movie musical version now, the one where they're doing the fellahin-ish style dance on the wall. I hope it didn't get taken down :(

jenc

Here is a version being taught by Orit Maftsir. I like the music but can't find this version. I konw it's called Ranili her so this poster won't know where to get it

Incidentally, I wouldn't consider this version to be either folkloric or Raqs Sharki.

Marya

Agreed!

I like Fatme Serhan's re-make too. I can't find the movie musical version now, the one where they're doing the fellahin-ish style dance on the wall. I hope it didn't get taken down :(

I have Fatme Serhan singing the song on a CD but I have not seen the video you are referring to, I hope you find it.

Marya

Marya

Here is a version being taught by Orit Maftsir. I like the music but can't find this version. I konw it's called Ranili her so this poster won't know where to get it

snip

Incidentally, I wouldn't consider this version to be either folkloric or Raqs Sharki.

Thanks for posting this, the choreography is very inspiring. The movement vocabulary is what I would call Oriental/Raks Sharki, but true, the music is not particularly that style. I have Hossam Ramzy's version and that seems very Raks Sharki like to me.