Belly Dance Banned?

jjj

Hi guys, I'm doing a speech on belly dance. I could have sworn I read somewhere in here that Belly Dance was banned in one country. Did I read wrong?

I am aware that non-egyptian dancers were not allowed to perform in 2004 but that got revoked.

But I searched here and on the web about a country that has banned belly dancing and come up with nothing. Can someone straighten me out please.

Thanks in Advance

LilithNoor

I think all forms of public dancing are banned in Iran, but not specifically belly dance.

Not aware of any countries where belly dance in particular is banned, although there are politcal groups in the Middle East who would like to do so.

Yame

There are countries where it's forbidden for women to be seen in public, or to perform in public, but belly dance in particular, I haven't heard.

Even if it did happen... why is it worth a mention in the speech when most of us haven't even heard of it? Would that be an important fact about belly dance? Is that what you want people to walk away remembering?

jjj

Ok so that was it. Thank you for the heads up and my confusion.

Yame, it's important because I'm covering everything I know about Belly Dance whether it the glamorous part or a hidden truth that some people want to keep close. People are going to remember what they want to remember my job is to find the facts and inform my audience of my learning's. And this is not only for my assignment but for my personal education as well. I couldn't care less about close minded people who can't see past a screen slide.

And since there is no country where belly dance in particular is banned I don't have to worry about that.

Yshka

Nope, not Saudi Arabia to my knowledge, but you're pretty close! Bellydance was actually banned in Qatar. Bellydance shows have been banned, at least in hotels, by the tourism authorities since 2006 I think as Aziza_UAE on this forum once stated in a thread from a girl looking for classes. I remember there are still classes though, but public performance of bellydance is prohibited. How it came to be like that I do not know, but maybe Aziza_UAE can tell you, or our Lydia might know (Lydia Tzigane from Dubai).

Good luck on your speech!

Edited to add: check this out: gulfnews : Tourism body bans belly dancing in hotels in Qatar

Cairo had a ban shortly as well (I've read in different articles that this was 1834, was lifted again, and banned again from public display in 1950s, but I'm not sure enough to say). Foreign dancers were banned from dancing in Cairo around 2003 if I'm correct, but also there, I cannot say with 100 % certainty.

Last edited:

Yame

That's interesting... I'd never heard!

With that said, that still isn't something I'd mention in a speech about belly dance that is meant to introduce it to people who don't know anything/much about it. I am of course assuming this is will be your audience... maybe I'm wrong.

The reasons why belly dance is controversial in many Arab countries are complex and have much more to do with culture, religion, and views of the role of women than with belly dance itself. If you can cover that, then I can see the information being useful, but if it's just an introductory speech where you can't get in-depth into these multi-faceted issues, then I don't see the point of telling people belly dance was banned in Qatar or wherever.

Kashmir

Yame, it's important because I'm covering everything I know about Belly Dance whether it the glamorous part or a hidden truth that some people want to keep close.
I take it you are just starting learning about the dance - or have you got a couple of days? :D (I once had a 6 hour slot to talk about where belly dance came from and what had happened to it over the last hundred years or so and I ran out of time). Honestly, you have to edit.

Salome

Administrator
Egypt's ban was 1952 until 1954 I believe. Allowed to resume with some guidelines, like no bare midriff, a certain style of shimmy was out and there was more... I can't remember.

jjj

Thank you so much, I almost thought I was going coo-coo and imaging reading things. And yes I do have a few days to research and find good sources.

It will be a brief speech with an audience that most likely doesn't know much about belly dance. My grade will be based on how much research I've done so I do want to cover most I can. I want to put examples on the controversy side of belly dancing so I won't be going much into detail on that but it still needs to be cover.

I by no means want to put belly dance down. I actually pick the subject because I know my audience will be intrigue and that might get me a better grade.

Erik

Egypt's ban was 1952 until 1954 I believe. Allowed to resume with some guidelines, like no bare midriff, a certain style of shimmy was out and there was more... I can't remember.

I remember a Swedish belly dancer working in Egypt in the 90's on PBS (Rough Guide I think but not sure). She wore a midriff cover and demonstrated how she could dance with her hand close to her hip, but if her hand ever touched her hip she would be arrested by Egyptian undercover cops in the audience.

Aziza_UAE

There are a couple of teachers here (Qatar) though its taken me nearly a year to find them! I've put the info that I've found out onto the other thread. I haven't been to any of the classes as work's ruled them out.

I understand that Lydia has performed here but it was a private performance not for public attendance, maybe it was a wedding or large party etc etc.

PS Qatar is NOT part of the UAE! :shok:

Nope, not Saudi Arabia to my knowledge, but you're pretty close! Bellydance was actually banned in Qatar (part of the United Arab Emirates). Bellydance shows have been banned, at least in hotels, by the tourism authorities since 2006 I think as Aziza_UAE on this forum once stated in a thread from a girl looking for classes. I remember there are still classes though, but public performance of bellydance is prohibited. How it came to be like that I do not know, but maybe Aziza_UAE can tell you, or our Lydia might know (Lydia Tzigane from Dubai).

Good luck on your speech!

Edited to add: check this out: gulfnews : Tourism body bans belly dancing in hotels in Qatar

Cairo had a ban shortly as well (I've read in different articles that this was 1834, was lifted again, and banned again from public display in 1950s, but I'm not sure enough to say). Foreign dancers were banned from dancing in Cairo around 2003 if I'm correct, but also there, I cannot say with 100 % certainty.

Yshka

Oops, my mistake ;) I edited my post and left some stuff in/out though it still seemed like normal sentences, hmm :think:

Thanks for the info, Aziza, I was sure you'd probably know more that could be of help than I did. Didn't know Lydia performed in Qatar either. Anyhow, thank you for clearing it up!

I wonder how JJJ's speech has gone. :) Any news yet?

Last edited:

Kashmir

Thank you so much, I almost thought I was going coo-coo and imaging reading things. And yes I do have a few days to research and find good sources.

It will be a brief speech with an audience that most likely doesn't know much about belly dance. My grade will be based on how much research I've done so I do want to cover most I can. I want to put examples on the controversy side of belly dancing so I won't be going much into detail on that but it still needs to be cover.

I by no means want to put belly dance down. I actually pick the subject because I know my audience will be intrigue and that might get me a better grade.
I actually meant a couple of days to speak :) If you want to impress people with the depth of your research better to hand out a list of sources you have used and they can follow up with. Nothing worse than listening to someone speak and flittering over a lot of different ideas. One idea per minute is fine - you can then take time to explain it and provide depth. On a topic you are well acquianted with and hour would be fine per point. For something you are less well acquainted with you need much longer as you need to weed out what is irrelevant and also balance competing viewpoints.

jjj

I actually meant a couple of days to speak :) If you want to impress people with the depth of your research better to hand out a list of sources you have used and they can follow up with. Nothing worse than listening to someone speak and flittering over a lot of different ideas. One idea per minute is fine - you can then take time to explain it and provide depth. On a topic you are well acquianted with and hour would be fine per point. For something you are less well acquainted with you need much longer as you need to weed out what is irrelevant and also balance competing viewpoints.

Lol, trust me I think my whole power point is full of sources.

Here's an example of one:

There still remains the feeling of Egypt at the heart of the dance. -
In Search of the Origins of Dance -my source

What I quote will be in the power point, everything else I will paraphrase but sources will be there. This is for speech class so I know they will expect me to go into depth.

The question I ask earlier here was going on the additional facts slide so that will be brief.

I will let you guys know how it went. :D