Soon.....! EEEEKKK!!!!

Indigo Shimmer

Well, my beginner class has been practicing a routine to perform for the public
since October. We now have all the steps together for the whole song and we're just working on polishing and tightening up the performance. Date for our first performance is June 15th and I'm starting to get nervous. My hubby will be there, some people and clients from where I work will be there and my parents are taking the train from Vermont to Pa. to attend along with other family members. AND I will be baring my much more than washboard belly. Right. NO PRESSURE!!!!!:shok: I actually think I'd be less nervous performing in front of a bunch of other belly dancers than my own family and friends! I KNOW how you guys react to newbies! My family also doesn't know that ideal belly dancer body frame is ANYTHING from tall to short, thin to----"woman of substance" like me. And I'm in front right next to the teacher!!!! Yeah, NO PRESSURE AT ALL!!!!!

What was I thinking????? Its too late to run, right?

Indigo S.

Daimona

Yes, it is too late to run! :lol:

Breathe, relax and enjoy!

Keep on practicing - and breathe and have fun both while practicing and on stage. If you start thinking of this experience as fun and enjoyable, it probably will be as well. The audience usually don't remember the moves and technical flaws, or if you forget a piece of the choreography, but they remember your energy and projection. A bit of nervousness will sharpen your performance. Work mentally on yourself and telling yourself that you will remember the choreography, the costume will look beautiful and you will be beautiful.

And remember to breathe! Enjoy!

nightdancer

Yep, way too late. Running isn't going to do you any good at this point. All that will happen is that you'll trip over a stray bear cub, fall down, sprain your ankle, and have you ever tried to glue sequins to an ace bandage? Really, you're better off practicing the bejezzus out of your routine, listen to the music til you're dead tired of it and rock it out.

First time jitters are normal and healthy. You're going to be awesome, just breathe and enjoy the ride. Its great that you have such awesome support. Let us know how it goes, we'll be cheering for you.

You'd mentioned that you're married, so your husband may want to hang out here and see what there is to see.

Husband of a Belly Dancer.com

Indigo Shimmer

Well, I was thinking. I'm nearsighted, ( just had an appt. with the eye Dr. and I'm now old enough for bifocals. Oh joy! ) I have to wear either glasses or contacts to see. Maybe if I go without, I won't be able to see what I'm afraid of: the audience's reaction!

Indigo S.

Daimona

Well, I was thinking. I'm nearsighted, ( just had an appt. with the eye Dr. and I'm now old enough for bifocals. Oh joy! ) I have to wear either glasses or contacts to see. Maybe if I go without, I won't be able to see what I'm afraid of: the audience's reaction!

Oh.. you prefer not to see and trip on the stage?? ;)

Indigo Shimmer

Just kidding! I don't need any help tripping. I do that well enough by myself!

I was mentioning to a classmate tonight that I might get so nervous, my knees will start knocking. She said, "Don't worry. They'll just think your shimmies are really good!"

BTW thanks y'all for all the encouragement and support. Where would I be without you guys?!

Indigo S.

Yame

Performing for non-dancer family and friends is much harder than performing for strangers. I think that actually puts a lot more pressure on you than you would have if no one who is close to you was watching. It's no wonder you are so nervous!

But trust me, you will be fine. Just remember, everyone there wants to see you succeed. Whatever happens, just try to smile and have fun!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
You go girl! Practice until you can do the darn choreo backwards & in your sleep. Yes you'll be nervous, but once that music starts your body will be ready to go and you'll be out there dancing your little heart out and off stage before you even realise .... & you'll want to do it all over again, you'll be flying high my girl. So put on your best smile, glam makeup and costume and be that dancer inside that is waiting to be let out.
~Mosaic

Indigo Shimmer

We're getting our pics taken by a professional photographer tomorrow dressed to the nines in our costumes. I've been painting my nails in this dark blue glitter fingernail polish. Do you know how many years its been since I wore nail polish???????? Well, I think I was still wearing a Catholic school girl's uniform! ( I will never like green plaid ever again! )

Indigo S.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"

Indigo S.
My wife did just this to help her through her first several performances!

Darshiva

I actually do this. Unless you're pretty close to legally blind you'll be fine, but always* practice without your glasses (particularly at troupe rehearsal) if you intend on doing this so you have your spatial awareness down pat before you go on stage. Yes, it's JUST like practicing in the costume you intend to perform in.

*Not necessarily EVERY practice, but you need to have practiced for every performance you plan on going glasses-free for. If you do it in troupe nobody's going to freak out when you show up in costume sans glasses to perform.

Last edited:

Indigo Shimmer

Practice last week went really well. We all seemed to know the routine and everything looked good as we went through it a few times. The biggest blip was my lucky veil seemed to want to ATTACK me during a few 'around the worlds'! It better not have that issue recital night!

We've already been strictly cautioned not to get sunburned between now and then! Not exactly a worry for me. My mother was the rabid tanner, not me. I could care less wether my skin is white or golden brown.

Indigo S.

Daimona

Practice last week went really well. We all seemed to know the routine and everything looked good as we went through it a few times. The biggest blip was my lucky veil seemed to want to ATTACK me during a few 'around the worlds'! It better not have that issue recital night!

Good! Now you need to prepare yourself for possible attacks from the veil, without you messing up the rest of the choreography.
When you are prepared for things that may happen, everything will go even better, and you won't panic when it happens because you'll know what to do next. :)