Wookie fusion

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Well, from my understanding, true fusion is the combining of two separate dance STYLES into one smooth whole.

Well I think this is exactly what is happening here. The Wookie indigenous dance combined with a little cabaret style bellydance.

Putting on a Wookie costume (or Darth, or storm trooper, or ANY costume) does NOT make a dance "fusion."

Ah but if the dancer is an authentic Wookie, then does she not have the right to call her dance "authentic" Wookie fusion? Who owns the definition of "authentic" ?

Now if there was a genuine "Force" style of dance, maybe...

Wookies are not indigenous to areas where "the Force" religion is popular. There are no more Wookie jedi.

this was just a bad idea from the word get-go. -_- From the costuming to the music to the cane incorporation/unincorporation, this took the Dark Side to a whole new level of evil.

As tree people, I would expect Wookies to do a little more with cane, you know, mostly because of those great long limbs and arm strength.

But let's also understand the reference: Egyptian bellydance borrows cane from the tahthib of the Said. You are not limited, as a bellydancer, to JUST Saidi music if you want to do cane dance. Lebanese style cane takes great liberties with it, and even Egyptian greats have done things with cane that would not be recognized as remotely Saidi.

Using a cane does not require the Saidi music or the Saidi rhythm.
Using Saidi music does not require using a cane or stick.
We just very often see a staged version of Saidi dance that DOES use the cane.

And I'm with Shan: yes, what little technique there was WAS good, but there was more strutting around than actual dancing.

Perhaps we do not have such a refined eye as to be able to see the tiny muscle movements happening beneath the ... pelt. ?

:lol::lol::lol:

Noiseman433

Hahhaa--you ladies are a hoot to read. To be fair, I often worry about so-called "Authenticity" but at some point you just can't worry about that, right? How many of us are actually middle eastern or of middle eastern descent, right? My group has been working with "Geek Bellydancers" for some time now and part of the fun is taking the music, such as it exists, and letting dancers interpret what a "fusion" style to that music would be. We've played for everything from slave Leias to Orion Slave girls to Wookiees to Borg Queens, to Khaleesi Daenerys Targaryens--the idea is that we're creating something new that has some roots in Bellydance, but also some roots in Euro-American Pop culture.

Personally, I've gotten a much higher level of appreciation for costume issues that dancers (and actors) have as the result of doing this Klingon Music Project--and having danced on stage with one of my close collaborators while playing the cello I think I'm starting to learn some of the other issues of stage presence and choreography too. It's all very fascinating and I'm glad that most of you are enjoying some of the direction that some dancers are taking!

Shanazel

Do't know about the middle easterners, but I directed the biker who originally sent me this piece to this thread and he and some friends laughed themselves silly over it all.

Like they don't spend pages discussing what kind of handwarmers to put on their bikes and whether or not to upgrade to fancier footrests. :lol:

AndreaSTL

:shok: What fun!

Shanazel, right? It's all relative. I'm thinking, "they'll be covered by your boots anyway. Just put in a peg and get on with it."

Now that it's over I can admit that I did a redneck belly dance number last weekend at Camparet. My costume was complete with visible thong, flame do rag, and rhinestone pink flamingo earrings. I used a flannel veil, played beer bottle cap finger cymbals, and twirled a plunger. See, I'm not such a mean purist after all. It's all about the venue for me. :cool:

Shanazel

I did a cowgirl version in denim riding skirt, boots, hat, and a sash that said "Rodeo Queen 1973." I used the saddle blanket as a veil. :lol:

Okay, the secrets are coming out. Who will be next to 'fess up?

SeeJaneDance

I suppose now would be the time to mention that I've been dreaming of doing a muppet fantasy choreo to "Manamana"?

Just think of the costuming opportunities!

Greek Bonfire

I must be the world's most boring non-fushion dancer as the worst act I committed was to wear a Santa hat (with glitter, of course) during a Toys for Tots benefit. <Yawn>

MizzNaaa

I'd like to hear what our Middle Eastern friends think of this entire venue.

I'm Egyptian, and I hope I count as friend :p So I'll answer that.

I can't speak for everyone here, but IMO...LADIES why are you taking this so freaking seriously? It's a bellydancing wookie, who might be Chewie, WHO CARES?! IT'S BRILLIANT.

All the nerdgasming aside, I didn't mind the use of the cane. It didn't work right, sure, and yes canes are usually done with Saidi, but if we're gonna talk about 'authenticity' well...(I mean that in the most friendly way possible) what are y'all doing here then?

All I'm saying is, I think it's about time we stop the authentic discussion. The world is not what it is. I enjoy hip-hop dance just as the next African American, and you guys enjoy our bellydancing just as the next 'authentic middle easterner'.

The culture boundaries are not the same they used to be, and since everybody is allowed to enjoy a culture that's not theirs and even add their own flavor to it (While making sure to not be disrespectful) then whatever floats their boat, I say.

Trying to put down what makes a 'true fusion' and such thing, is in my opinion the same as us middle-easterners saying that all of the Euro/American belly dancers can't dance as well as 'authentic middle easterners' just because they're middle easterners, or you can't do fusions, cause guess what? It's not authentic. I don't think the dancer took the whole performance seriously, it was something for fun, and it delivered what it promised 'fun'.

Bottom line?

This middle easterner enjoyed this video. Also this middle easterner shall go watch the Star Wars trilogy now :p

Yame

I'

I can't speak for everyone here, but IMO...LADIES why are you taking this so freaking seriously? It's a bellydancing wookie, who might be Chewie, WHO CARES?! IT'S BRILLIANT.

This. Not every performance needs to be dissected and taken seriously. This one in particularly was very clearly in the fantasy/comedy realm. You can enjoy it or not enjoy it, but it's pointless to discuss authenticity here...