Does lurex fabric also go under another name?

Aniseteph

I think Lurex refers to the metallic thread rather than a specific fabric. Maybe searching for metallic or sparkly will find something.

Amulya

That makes sense :) I'll look around if I can find something like it. The 25 yard skirts are well priced on EBay and I was wondering if I can find a similar lurex skirt on eBay for a better price or make one, but I haven't seen this fabric anywhere in stores ever.
ETA: it is indeed the metallic thread that's called lurex, there are different types of fabric on EBay with lurex thread, just not the colours I'm looking for, but maybe some time soon.

Last edited:

Darshiva

Looking at the descriptions I found for it, it's a plastic coated-metal-impregnated yarn that is sometimes made into fabric. Your best bet for finding lurex will probably be spotlight, but you could also try lincraft.

Go to spotlight armed with a print-out of the description and ask if 1) they know what it is and 2) if so, if they carry it.

Your other option would be to talk to a bridal store with a resident dressmaker as lure seems to be one of the types of fabric they would use for that sort of thing and they may be able to help you track down a source to buy from.

Amulya

I did find a perfect lurex skirt for one of my costumes but they didn't know how to ship to Australia! Hahaha

Amulya

It sounds funny indeed, but should have mentioned they didn't know how to set the shipping costs on EBay, that used to be manual, not anymore and there was no setting for Australia in her ebay, I guess you just set 'free shipping' and add the costs to the item.

Darshiva

Amulya, I don't know if you got my txt today, but you can buy cotton lurex at spotlight. I almost fainted when I saw it. It feels LOVELY!

Amulya

Sorry I didn't get your txt, my phone's battery is flat, need to charge it. What colours are they? Thin lurex stripes or wide ones like the Dahlal skirts are?

Last edited:

Darshiva

They were really thin strips and very close together so it was almost like assuit with thin glints of silver through it and incredibly soft to touch. If spotlight hadn't been about to close I don't think I could have resisted buying myself some.

Amulya

Nice colours! I ill probably behave as well, it's too hard to get into town for me, my wallet is thankful hehe. But it's tempting