Advice for the Audience

Shaheena

Greetings everyone!
I dance at both a small family restaurant and a new hookah lounge for primarily western audiences who have no idea how (or if they are even allowed! ) to watch or interact with the dancer. I'd like to write up a flyer to leave on the tables with some info...any advice on content and wording would be Greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!

Sirène

Greetings everyone!
I dance at both a small family restaurant and a new hookah lounge for primarily western audiences who have no idea how (or if they are even allowed! ) to watch or interact with the dancer. I'd like to write up a flyer to leave on the tables with some info...any advice on content and wording would be Greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!

I'll leave the content to the more seasoned performers (I'm a n00b :lol:), but maybe instead of a flyer, you can do small folded notecards? They're prettier, and if left standing up, more noticeable without taking too much space on the table.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Hi Shaheena, I have moved your question to performance as i think you'll get more answers than in Meet & Greet. Welcome to the forum as well:D

What about the restaurant manager/owner advising the customers - maybe just introducing you before your set and telling everyone they can join in if the dancer asks them too etc also add advice about tipping what how & when.
~Mosaic

Darshiva

I think that's a better idea. Think about what you're okay with, write it up as an introductory piece and give it to the manager to announce you with.

Salome

Administrator
I think it is a great idea, whether a flyer, note card, announcement or whatever. When I am doing a show for GP in a venue that does not have regular Oriental I have the MC say a little blurb about what and how to show approval if they appreciate what the dancer is doing. It sets the audience up to feel comfortable and involved.

Shaheena

Thank You all!
The stand-up notecard is what I had pictured also....now just exactly what to put on it?...:eek:)

The restaurant is staffed by family who are serving/cashiering/cooking....patrons are in and out, so not all would even hear the message (it's not a sit-down dinner show-just ambient entertainment) same with the Hookah lounge, it is new and building a clientele and we want to provide some atmosphere for those trying it out....

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Question and answer seems to work best. Something like

Q. Am I allowed to tip the dancer? How?
A. Yes, tipping is encouraged. Place the bill in her hand, just as you would hand money to a cashier. (or whatever)

Q. I don't want to appear lewd, so when she is dancing, where should I look?
A. Typically the movement is generated around the dancer's waistline, but looking in her eyes is also acceptable.

etc. Or something like that. I'm not feeling very coherent today ... :(