Belly dance Instructor?

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Oh heavens, there are completely unflattering videos out there of ALL of us.

That's typically why instructors will only post CERTAIN clips on their websites or on Youtube.

We've all had extremely off nights, or we had to fight our way through the crowd, or the stage has holes in it, or we were exhausted because we'd been waiting TWO HOURS to go on, or any number of reasons why we don't give a stellar performance. And sometimes what appears to be a casual and relaxed LIVE performance looks sloppy on video.

Shareen el Safy is an amazing dancer live, but she does not make the transition to video very well. Her video performances can appear cold and emotionless -- but I sat in the audience and was blown away by her live.

Ultimately I wouldn't base my opinions of an instructor's ability on just one clip.

You wanna see a spectacularly awful performance from a teacher? The world's worst clip, where the instructor is performing a beginning student DRILL (not even a real choreography) and looks like she's just spent the last 24 hours detoxing? Check out this monstrosity and pay close attention to the redhead in the blue bedleh:

(deleted link so no one else has to be exposed to that hot mess.)

Last edited:

da Sage

Ultimately I wouldn't base my opinions of an instructor's ability on just one clip.

You wanna see a spectacularly awful performance from a teacher? The world's worst clip, where the instructor is performing a beginning student DRILL (not even a real choreography) and looks like she's just spent the last 24 hours detoxing? Check out this monstrosity and pay close attention to the redhead in the blue bedleh:

Yours truly?

Amanda (was Aziyade)

The "performer" in question was only dancing as a favor to the blonde, who was organizing a fashion show. We had spent the previous night in about 4 hours of rehearsal and that day gone through 9 HOURS of hair and makeup before being fitted for the show.

Blondie decided we should ALSO do a largely impromptu belly dance duet. The only thing we felt comfortable dueting was the class drill. :rolleyes:

My first barefoot performance in ages, too. It shows.... sigh.

I'm deleting the link tomorrow :)

da Sage

The "performer" in question was only dancing as a favor to the blonde, who was organizing a fashion show. We had spent the previous night in about 4 hours of rehearsal and that day gone through 9 HOURS of hair and makeup before being fitted for the show.

Blondie decided we should ALSO do a largely impromptu belly dance duet. The only thing we felt comfortable dueting was the class drill. :rolleyes:

My first barefoot performance in ages, too. It shows.... sigh.

I'm deleting the link tomorrow :)

I have seen your pictures. You don't *need* 9 hours of hair and makeup.;)

I don't feel comfortable performing without copious rehearsal, either.:think: And I was completely mortified when a new teacher found some terrible footage of me social-dancing online - she recognized me. And told me about it. And showed it to her friend (also a teacher of mine)!:shok::redface:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

:) Lol -- It was a deal where we all had to go through different looks to fit different outfits. You'd have thought it was Project Runway or something. I was ready to kill by the end of the evening. And STARVING.

Point being -- we all have off nights, and even after my "performance" we got people up on the catwalk and got them dancing, so we were able to engage the audience even after such a lackluster performance. But I would hope no one would judge my teaching ability based on that clip.

Now if you want to judge my PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCE skills, that's a different thing. But I hope you won't :)