Belly Dancing Mentor and/or Tips

LeAnna88

I live in Gillette, WY and have been looking for a Belly Dancing group for sometime now but have had no luck... I took a few classes when I was in College and know there's a lot of interest for a class in Gillette so I'm toying with the idea of starting my own. I'm not very experienced though and only know what I could learn a casual class once a week for two years... I'm looking for someone to help me get started in my Quest, looking for book tips, DVD tips, advice on how to run the class... Basically anything would help!

mahsati_janan

I live in Gillette, WY and have been looking for a Belly Dancing group for sometime now but have had no luck... I took a few classes when I was in College and know there's a lot of interest for a class in Gillette so I'm toying with the idea of starting my own. I'm not very experienced though and only know what I could learn a casual class once a week for two years... I'm looking for someone to help me get started in my Quest, looking for book tips, DVD tips, advice on how to run the class... Basically anything would help!

Please do not start a class as a teacher if you do not yet have enough training and experience to make it a safe and informative learning experience. A belly dance club or study group may be a better option if there are no teachers available in your area. By teaching, you would be taking responsibility for your students' learning progression and their safety.

This is something I wrote up a while back that I share with dancers who are considering becoming teachers:

So you want to teach belly dance? Where to start?
I developed these guidelines by talking to other belly dance teachers, instructors in other dance and art styles, and different dance studios. This is not to discourage prospective teachers, but to give an idea of what you might need to help you be a successful instructor.

[Please note: There are many fabulous teachers who do not necessarily meet all of these guidelines. If you are considering teaching, the best person to help you gauge your readiness is a local dance mentor who is already a teacher and can advise/assist you in the process of becoming a great instructor. These are general guidelines only.]

Qualifications

Are you qualified to teach?
  • Minimum qualifications to teach professionally include but are not limited to: Knowledge of all basic isolations, required dance styles, rhythms, stage dynamics, costuming, history, performance skills, teaching to different learning styles, layering, props, safety, anatomy
  • Preferred qualifications to teach professionally include but are not limited to: 5 or more years as a continually progressing student (bare minimum 500 in-class hours, 500 at-home practice hours), 2 or more years performing at a professional skill level, continuing education minimum 75 hours per year (seminars, workshops, private classes) in addition to teaching/performing, knowledge of more than once dance style
  • I apply these guidelines to everyone teaching a dance class. The guidelines for a belly-robics class are somewhat different.

Do you have liability insurance?
  • Liability insurance is required. Without liability insurance you can be sued and your personal possessions including your home may be seized to pay any penalties.

Finances
Teaching costs for classes include at a minimum:
  • Paper/printing for handouts
  • Advertising
  • Studio rental
  • Gas for travel
  • Music/music rights if location does not pay for this already
  • Extra props/instruments to loan in class (veils, zills, canes, etc.)
  • Liability insurance
  • Time
  • Income Tax - you will need to report all income to your federal, state, and local authorities for taxing purposes
  • Maintaining up-to-date CPR and safety classes
  • If teaching at a gym, you may be required to maintain group fitness certifications.

Time investment
In addition to actual class time, you will spend:
  • Travel time
  • Bookkeeping time for attendance and finances
  • Creating lesson plans
  • Creating handouts
  • Creating ads and flyers
  • Creating choreographies
  • Creating combinations and in class exercises
  • Maintaining up-to-date CPR and safety classes
  • If teaching at a gym, you may be required to maintain group fitness certifications.

Legality
There are a number of administrative legalities to consider:
  • Fictitious name registration if you take money or accept checks under any name other than your own
  • Business registration: State
  • Business registration: Local
  • Sales tax: Required if you sell any physical items
  • Business license: Some localities require a separate annual business license in addition to your business registration
  • Sole proprietor/non-profit/not-for-profit/incorporated?
  • Liability Insurance - again, you may need this to operate legally in addition to for your own protection

LeAnna88

Thank so much Mahsati Janan. I did not take those things into consideration. I like the idea of doing A Club and/or Study Group instead of the class. That does seem more appropriate in my situation. Do you or anyone else have some resources that I could look for, like literature or very helpful instructional DVDs? I've checked my local library but the only ones they have are the "Work-out" kind and I'm looking for more traditional dances and information and traditions with Belly Dancing.

teela

Welcome. There is at least one member (Shanzel) who lives and has taught in Wyoming. I just don't know where she is located. Furthermore, you are with in a reasonable drive of Fort Collins and of Denver, both of which have good teachers and frequent workshops so you could pop down there once a month or so to take lessons or participate in workshops. I think there might also be a fairly strong community in Greely but I am not sure.
Hope this gives you some direction.

Pleasant dancer

If you think there is enough interest in your area, why not approach a nearby established teacher to see if they could come and take a regular class or even a monthly one? Many teachers are struggling to fill their classes at the moment and I know if someone said "I can guarantee 10 paid-up people to come each week (or similar)" to me, I would be interested in running a course/class if it worked out financially.

Sorry, can't help with teachers, I'm in the UK! :)

Shanazel

I teach in Casper, Teela, about 130 miles from Gillette. LeAnna called me and we'll see what we can work out. Welcome to OD, LeAnna. :dance:

Pirika Repun

I teach in Casper, Teela, about 130 miles from Gillette. LeAnna called me and we'll see what we can work out. Welcome to OD, LeAnna. :dance:

Shanazel, have you consider Skype class? If some students have difficult time for traveling, maybe Skype private/ semi private or small class will good for both of you guys? :think: