Belts

intlgrrl

Ok, I've been surfing for a while and I just can't find a link on the best way to make a dance belt. I have so many ideas, but I have no idea where to begin or what materials to use... so if there's anyone that is willing to give me the "dummies" version on how to go about making a dance belt and make an idiot proof step by step instruction sheet, I will be WONDERFUL!

teela

Did you check Shira.net for information? She has a lot of good information. joyofbellydancing.com has costume info along with the belly dance goddesses page. There is a lovely DVD out by Azziza on making your own bra and belt.

Mohana

That is a great link! I will definitely try this. I had bought the Simplicity pattern but had hesitated on making it because I didn't know how much adjusting it would take to make it danceable. This looks much easier to get a proper fit. Thank you!

intlgrrl

Does anyone make belt forms anymore? I know a few sites that sell bra forms, so I was wondering about belt forms.

LuLu

I found a decent belt form in a belly dance costume sold at joanns i think it was simplicity but I dont remember. It had 3 or 4 styles of belt to choose from the pattern cost like $5 if I remember correctly. The whole costume itself was actually nice. If i could sew better I would have bought it.

PracticalDancer

Geez, making a belt seems very labor intensive. I give anyone props who would venture into making their own...

Relatively speaking, they are actually easier than bras . . . but still it is easiest to have someone else do the work. The trick I learned (after several failed attempts at designing my own pattern) is to take your favorite belt and trace it. then, use THAT as your pattern. You can, as you learn more, alter the shapes a little to suit your needs. But, it is *soooooo* much easier if you model it after a belt that fits rather than designing from scratch.

Regards,

Anala

Shanazel

I'm a glutton for punishment- I have never made the same belt twice. In fact, I teach classes in the subject. How insane is THAT? :lol: All I can say is thank god for duct tape.

LuLu

I'm a glutton for punishment- I have never made the same belt twice. In fact, I teach classes in the subject. How insane is THAT? :lol: All I can say is thank god for duct tape.

Everyome I know uses duct tape when making belts, its a great idea.

khanjar

I have just made my first fabric dance belt, I got an old 1914 Singer sewing machine from a charity shop, worked out how to use it and just went for it. I will put up pics once I have finished sewing the coins on, 47 Kuchi coins by hand, and my hand sewing is not fab to say the least.

But as a male dancer, we have our problems with the hips too, in that not having much in the line of hips, belts tend to fall down, a problem I had with my last belt, it was my first attempt using steel chain mail, bronze,Turkish coins, beads and tassles. One good thing about a heavy metal belt is that when one gets shimmying the weight helps in that.