Best costume style for long body/short legs

One of the "lost" threads was about the best costume style for long body/short legs. I didn't start the thread, but I'm still interested to know what people think, because I have the same problem!

If I remember right, we'd had these suggestions so far:

• Wear your belt a little higher so it looks like that's where your hips start
  • Don't wear long/deep hip scarves or hip belts, keep them narrow
  • Don't wear pants as that highlights how low your crotch is!
  • Wear heeled shoes
  • Big skirts and baggy pants will make your legs look even shorter

Thinking about the first two items, it dawned on me - of course, the best thing is not to wear a hip scarf or belt at all. Both create a line that cuts the lower body in half.

I've just made a mermaid skirt and I was going to make a belt, but now I think I'll just embellish the skirt.

Shanazel

Dancers with long torsos get to wear the hip band with attached waistband styles, as well as getting to wear things like a single chain draped at the waistline and fringe on the bottom of the bra. I always wanted to be able to put a single fine silver chain at the waist, but alas, when torsos were handed out to my group, God was generous with leg length.

Daimona

Some of the points I listed in the previous thread was:
  • Create vertical lines or assymmetry on your costume with details or colors.
  • Use long skirts or pants.
  • Avoid high splits in front of skirt (you don't want to emphazise your short legs, do you?)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Simple chains at the waist I think look lovely. This costume although a bit decorative at the waist has nice simple lines which shouldn't overpower a long torso/short legs shape.

The pic is huge so here is the link

Belly Dance Costumes | Belly Dance Store.com: gallery

The pic below is my all time fav costume and the simple draped beading is so elegant.
~Mosaic

Simple chains at the waist I think look lovely.

The pic below is my all time fav costume and the simple draped beading is so elegant.
~Mosaic

Mosaic, that costume looks gorgeous!. Thank you so much. My bra is very heavily beaded, and I've been thinking that the skirt actually looks nice plain - but I thought that wasn't the "done thing". This pic has given me courage to keep it simple!