Cleaning help

Darshiva

My cat peed on some hand-made bellydance costumes I made back when I was a baby dancer. The bras are made of moulded foam and synthetic fibres. Luckily I don't have to worry about beaded items.

Is there a way to clean them thoroughly or should I just bin them?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Moulded foam, I am thinking that it maybe near impossible to clean them. I take it it is now more sentimental value? or do you still wear the costumes? you could wait for our summer to arrive:lol: & let them sit out in sunlight for several days.You can try lavishing baking soda over them to soak up any pee, then gently wash them and rinse with white vinegar, if it is looking good wait for some nice hot summer days to finish off the job. If that fails, probably no choice but to bin them. What a shame.

What caused puss to choose them?, locked in/too wet outside for him/her to go out? I have an indoor litter tray as I lock my cats inside every night & I also have a huge low round planter which is filled with clumping litter for the wet times which sits outside the back door under the extended patio walkway so it remains sheltered all year for those wet days which are a plenty right now. My cats hate going out in the rain.
~Mosaic

Darshiva

She's toilet training (not litter, toilet) and just advanced to a new level. The couple of days around it are always iffy but she usually gets there in the end. She doesn't usually choose something that's hard to clean for a toilet, I'd just shut off her other choice & my back was turned.

I figured as much regarding the costumes. Probably best just to chuck them then, since they don't fit & were only going to be gifted to baby bellydancers in my class.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
She's toilet training (not litter, toilet) and just advanced to a new level. The couple of days around it are always iffy but she usually gets there in the end. She doesn't usually choose something that's hard to clean for a toilet, I'd just shut off her other choice & my back was turned.

I figured as much regarding the costumes. Probably best just to chuck them then, since they don't fit & were only going to be gifted to baby bellydancers in my class.

How did you toilet train her? She is a clever kitty!

Sounds like she was annoyed with you for shutting off her previous level, cats don't take change easily, takes them a few days to accept it.
~Mosaic

Darshiva

Hubby reckons it was too soon, so we're switching it back a notch. After all, I feel likea right bugger being cranky with her on her birthday!

The bras are probably toast but the hubby reckons we might be able to rescue the rest of it - including the pee-stained silk. I can't wait to see him try!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Sounds like kitty is quite young, I am impressed with actually toilet training, so what is the current level a toddlers potty?
~Mosaic

Darshiva

Shes' nearly done actually, just having a few hiccups with the last inch or so of covered toilet bowl.

Tell you what though, we've spent $60 on kitty litter for her so far this year, and we may not need all of what we have left either. I can't recommend toilet training highly enough.

Anan is 2 today. We got her when she was 10 months old.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
My cats would never use the toilet, one is nearly 9 and the other is 7 yrs old. I am amazed that you have been able to train her starting at 10mths, what a great kitty!
~Mosaic

Amulya

I washed a costume once by taking off the lining (you can take off padding if there) and wash it in cold wather with shampoo, it worked. Maybe try on a small accessory first?

Shakti

Proud cat lady here!Maybe you could try a test spot with some enzymatic pet cleaner from the pet store. Use a black light to see exactly where the stains are. She is probaby having an issue with the toilet training but generally for future reference, if a cat starts using other places besides the box they are having urinary track issues and avoid the box for peeing and number 2 because they associate the box with discomfort. FYi for any cat owner. Kidney problems are the main killer of our feline friends so this is something the keep in mind. Purrr! Hahaha.