Clothes make the dancer?

Gabi

I don't care if they show up in a bedlah, it was just a too slutty one. Another girl had a nice black and silver one with a more modest dress and I'd rather seen the teacher giving her a nice comment on her clothes instead of the "slutty-dressed" girl. But well, you can't have anything ;)

If my teacher really liked it she has a really bad taste ;) However she commented me on having a nice skirt too once :D

Unless the student shows up in this and your teacher compliments her, don't worry :D http://shopping.msn.com/specs/shp/?...ly costume dance,ptnrId=191,ptnrData=13718974

Sara Abou Farhat

Teachers influence?

I do believe, from previous experience, that the teacher can have a large influence on how quickly a student buys her first "professional" costume.
I try to be an example for my students, no cabaret costume or skirts in class, unless specifically stated. (I think its important that they can see my legs, knees, feet & vice versa).
They often start to be tempted to buy a costume or expensive bra & belt when they browse around my studios small shop but I tend to halt them (not very good for the business but..) with the question - where does the next step go........if they buy a costume for 300€ after one semester?

"Shwaiwe,shwaie..."

one step at a time......& not just in technical terms .-)

Have a nice day & happy dancing,
Sara Abou Farhat

PhysicsFairy

I don't know whether it's because of the style my troupe does or what, but the requirements for classwear is a full skirt (circle of three tier) and a choli. Before I had the choli I used to wear tank tops which I'd tuck up from the bottom underneath my bra.

Personally, I have got so used to this in class and with all the rest of the girls also wearing similiar (and wearing their tribal belts and jewellery) that it feels normal. I think I would feel out of place in class if I wasn't in that get up (skirt, belt & choli).

When I'm at home, practising, it's whatever I'm wearing at the time the urge strikes (including my Pjs!!). For performance though, I always notice that when I'm fully dresssed (costume, headpiece, jewllery, makeup) I feel SO much more like a proper dancer and I recognise for myself that I am a bellydancer. As soon as I take pieces off (the jewellery for eg, or the make-up) I start to revert to my usual 20-something uni student.

Kind of like Cinderella dressed for the ball, before going back to her ordinary life!! :)