Costumes

Shanazel

I'm not sure what you mean by source- where the costumes or made or where inspiration comes from?

I am enticed by color and abundance and movement. I like skirts to swirl and float, bedlahs to sparkle. I don't care for straight skirts or styles that incorporate non-middle eastern cultures (goth comes immediately to mind, followed by anything with a miniskirt).

Azeeza

Hi Shanazel:

By source, I mean directly from Bella or Dahlal, or gently used.

I also wondered if dancers tend to stick to the same style because it is the most flattering on their body shape or try a wide variety of colors and shapes and take their chances.

Thanks for your reply :),

Azeeza

Shanazel

I've never had a costume I didn't make myself, but I adore looking at the pictures of professionally made costumes. I stick to the styles I am comfortable with and don't do much experimenting. I know what yellow and lime green do to my skin, just as the mere thought of myself in a mermaid skirt is enough to make me laugh aloud (or cry, depending on whether or not I took my antidepressants that morning). I also hate having to think about what I'm wearing while I'm dancing- if it is horrendously uncomfortable, I don't care how pretty it is, I don't want to wear it. I did enough of that back in the days when I got paid to shimmy through the pain of halter straps and silver trim that scratched.

You asked the question, but didn't answer it yourself (hint, hint)

Azeeza

Ok, well you know I'm ditzy already. I've purchased so many costumes, some look pretty good on me, but others, not so good.

The higher the price is on a ready made costume, the better it fits me. I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone else?

One bra and belt set that I bought I think might be Pharonics. There aren't any tags on it, but it has a similar design to other Pharonics I've seen for sale. That bra and belt fits me like a glove. I paid over $400.00 for it and it is heavily used.

Madame Ablas tend to fit me well, but those can be expensive as well. And I have a few Bellas, but they don't fit me like the Pharonics and Abla do.

Pale yellows and peach colors look horrible on me. Black would be my color choice, although I am a winter colored person so sapphire, emerald, and most bold colors look wonderful on me. I need to stay away from any pale colors because they look rather pukie on me.

And for skirt design, I'm thinking mermaid all the way. I'm not very tall and I'm not slender, so the circle skirts tend to make me look wider and squaty. A tapered skirt is what I seek out mostly.

I'd really like the wild colored bedlahs, but I'm having a difficult time finding one that would fit me like a glove (Pharonics design) and isn't too expensive.

Azeeza

belly_dancer

being not normal size.... I learned to sew at an early age...
for bellydance costumes... I admit it... I am a fabric whore!!!!! (will often build a whole costume around a scrap of cool fabric
I like the more "vintage" look in costuming... american caberet, to old stlye egyptian... (the more sparkle the better!) not a fan of the regular egyptian costume.... though I have a few...
I have sooo many now... I tend to look for the unusual, gently used (usually handmade by someone else!) costume... since I always have to alter anyhow.. much cheaper than buying new..
I also like the layered look in color.... so will combine many layers (say a bunch of different purples, sheers over opaques, etc.) think it makes the costume more interesting...
I also split up all my skirts (the layers... not up the leg:shok: ).. or detach them from belts, so I can mix & match EVERYTHING!)

Amanda (was Aziyade)

My source is other dancers. I troll the swap boards and find dancers my size and just sort of wait for them to get rid of their goodies. I'm cheap.

What entices me still are coins. I LOVE the old school costumes dripping in coins. And I love the 1970's style 2-piece costumes, but I no longer have the body to really carry off that style, so now I stick with the long gown style.

But I do LOVE my Cat's Paw coin dance belt. Copper coins. TOO cool looking. I wear it to class. I can't make it match any of my actual costumes.

Mandii

Most of my costumes have come from The Belly Dance Store:, then my mom bought me one costume off ebay and has made me one. I also bought a costume from moondance. :D I totally love bellydance store because I am "Goddess" sized, and I can get costumes in my size, or I can always order them. The costumes are great quality and the prices are much more reasonable then Dahlals. Also, I have yet to get my first Eman Zaki, but because the owner of bellydancestore.com is Emans good friend, bellydancestore, carries some of Emans lines, exclusively!!!!
:dance:
Anyways;) , I like to stick with the same kinds of colors, and with bra and belt sets I tend to stick with the same thing. 4 of my 8 costumes are dresses, because somedays and some places I just want to be as covered up as possible. I really prefer silver over gold. My only requirement for my costume is it has to really be a great color and really impressive looking. Man I as I am thinking of my costumes, I really love those pieces of fabric! :)

Maria_Aya

Now that I'm thinking my costume closet, everything is different lol

2 Saidi gelebia's (black and dark greek), 1 great dress, black and gold, 2 Khalegee dresses, (blue-purple and green (I call that one frog lol).
2 costumes from Turkey, black-gold and black-silver
I mermaid (ridiculus costume never wore it lol) in silver and sky blue
1 black dress with aplicated roses
1 fucsia costume, baladi dresses (dont know how many)
2 ghawazee style dresses with fringe allover
phewwwww i dont know many lol
Iskenderia dress and accesories and more that dont remember now lol

But half are black with gold or silver, and half are dresses, or gelebia's type.
I tend to like everything (or almost everything lol).

My favorite store is Yasser at Khan Halili, for his quality and the price that are too great for the costumes.
And also my privite designer Andreya of Cairo (we are working now on 2 leopar costumes for our duet)

Specific songs need special costumes, and even if i seem traditional I like to experiment, so I'm working on my rock costume these days for the "Smack my bitch up with tabla" of Prodigy, but its for a special occasions like when my old time rock and punk friends invite me to dance for their birthdays and want to shock them lol

Beside my personal costumes have also around 50 in various sizes, (all used ones) like a guardarobe for my students. And skirts and veils for group choreo's.

Maria Aya:cool:

p.s. and you will feel my pain now, ofcourse my husband doesnt know all these costumes, and when he see a new one, i say always that i can make miracles from old costumes ;)

belly_dancer

Now that I'm thinking my costume closet, everything is different lol

p.s. and you will feel my pain now, ofcourse my husband doesnt know all these costumes, and when he see a new one, i say always that i can make miracles from old costumes ;)

HAD to give you rep for the husband thing!@!! but my computer says I can't twice... but it never confirmed once... so if you didn;t get the rep... I was thinking of you (& feeling your pain!!!:clap: :lol: ) if the husbands only knew what REALLY went on in our closets!!!.... BTW... am very interested to see your slap the bitch costume!!!!

gwinity

Sadly, my budget can't extend to 'real' costumes (and being only a baby-dancer, I wouldn't feel right in something like that anyway), but I spend free hours trawling the net for ideas (not necesessarily costumes themselves) which I can work with and make my own. I have a sketchbook full of costume ideas that one day I might get around to making. :D

:lol: @ Maria's sneaky way of getting around husbands!

Shanazel

Here's an idea for you to conceal costumes, Maria, borrowed from a friend of mine who loves to quilt. She put some plywood up across the joists in the attic of her house and hides her excess fabric up there.

Kharmine

I'm not performing yet, but my dance clothing usually consists of:

1) Basic black flamenco practice skirt (nice when it gets cold in my teacher's studio!), with a loosefitting top, such as a crossover wap style with long sleeves. Most of the color in that outfit comes from my fancier earrings and the hip scarf. The skirt I got in a local dance supply store.

2) A colorfully embroidered top with one of three skirts with a fitted, dropped waist (flattering on a short torso like mine) and a flared skirt that ends just below the knees. I found the first such skirt in a discount clothing store and it fitted and moved perfectly, but was a discontinued product. So I hired a friend of mine who is adept in theatrical costuming to copy it in two other colors. Well worth it. The tops are just pretty peasant-style blouses I like.

3) a pair of rayon "fisherman's pants" (close-fitting sort of harem-style pants with a kind of built in wrap-over section across the hips) and a matching top with some embroidery down the front. You can usually find this sort of style in little import shops that sell Indian/Nepal/Indonesian clothing, or on Ebay.

Maria_Aya

Here's an idea for you to conceal costumes, Maria, borrowed from a friend of mine who loves to quilt. She put some plywood up across the joists in the attic of her house and hides her excess fabric up there.

:clap: nice idea girl !!!! (smiling devilicious :cool: )

and thanks for the rep belly-dancer ;)

The Londoners will be the first to see the rock costume, since Darbuka is gonna be the place after summer I'm gonna be back !!! (now this could be a thread he he he)

Maria Aya

p.s. just returned from sneaking out of office, and bought 10 X 1.40 meters of great lourex fabric for baladi dress for 15 euro :D
This will make 4 dresses for a troup choreo !!!

Shanazel

I just received the new leotard I ordered from Dahlal, and despite the steep price, I love it- it is just what I've been searching for. It has three-quarter length sleeves, powernet inset, and flared legs- AND IT IS LONG ENOUGH!!! Too long, actually, but I expect it to shrink a little in the first wash. It also fits in the bust!! I am so tired of leotards that cut off the circulation to my head. If it came in another color, I'd buy another one. I looked at the costumes in the brochure I received with the leotard, but didn't really care for any of them, though some of the colors were beautiful.

KuteNurse

I just bought a hip scarf that I love. My cat loves it also! He can't seem to keep his little paws off me when I am wearing it! I can see I am going to have to take care when I start buying costumes to keep them out of his site in a bag!

charity

i dont know just yet about my style but i LOVE salome's costume in her video performance in the photo gallery.

i like how it contributes to and accentuates the flow of the dance.

KuteNurse

I just received the new leotard I ordered from Dahlal, and despite the steep price, I love it- it is just what I've been searching for. It has three-quarter length sleeves, powernet inset, and flared legs- AND IT IS LONG ENOUGH!!! Too long, actually, but I expect it to shrink a little in the first wash. It also fits in the bust!! I am so tired of leotards that cut off the circulation to my head. If it came in another color, I'd buy another one. I looked at the costumes in the brochure I received with the leotard, but didn't really care for any of them, though some of the colors were beautiful.

Shanazel...I just received the Dahlal catalog...Another funny story. Anyways...I saw that leotard and I was thinking of purchasing it...I am glad to hear it is a good one...However, I am more on the petite side...Kinda inbetween. 5'4" but pants are ALWAYS long on me...So maybe it won't work unless I cut the bottom and have it hemmed. Onto the story...I received my first Dahlal catalog in the mail on Thursday of this past week. I was excited, however, H looked and the magazine had been opened and looked through....I just kinda laughed because either my mailman is a pervert or someone who works at the post office!

KuteNurse

I was just thinking how nice it would be to have a costume class to learn how to make costumes. I am not the best seamstress, but I can get by with a little coaching and practice. Plus, it would be fun sitting down with like-minded others for a couple of hours of BD talk once or twice a week.