Different Styles of Dance?

Ms Minx

I have heard a lot about different styles of dance ~ Egyptian, Turkish, etc. yet I really have no idea what the differences are. Is there a good book or perhaps a thread on this board that covers this topic? Thank you!

Aisha Azar

Styles

Dear Ms Minx,
I would usggest you go and get DVDs or videos or whatever technology you use. Try to get film of each of the different styles you are interested in, and look for the native dancers as opposed to westerners performing the styles. This is not to say that there are NO good westerners in the various styles, just that it is easier when looking at natives, to see how the differences occur in their natural environments. Also, since there are a lot of westerners who say they are doing such and such style and they are really not, you will do away with that problem if you stick to natives.)

Here are some names to look for:

Egyptian- Randa, Fifi Abdou, Soheir Zaki, Mouna Said
Turkish- Burghul Beray, Sema Yildez ( any other good ones the Turkish dancers can name??
Lebanese- Nabila, Amani

Regards,
A'isha

Ms Minx

Thank you very much for the suggestion and the names. To be honest, I was not even sure how many styles there were. This is a great start!

Ms Minx

youtube ~ Oh yes, I have seen it here on the message board. I shall make a lil trip over to their web-site.

Thank you!

artemisdances

Different styles

Hello;

Artemis Mourat here. I have an aritcle on my website that you can read. It describes some of the differences between the Turkish style and Egyptian styles and why there is a difference.

Turkish Dancing

I also have a mini documentary on my Turkish Oriental Instructional DVD from IAMED that illustrates some of the differences. I will do a more elaborate documentary section in my next DVD from Serpentine Communications. Thank you!
Happy Spring!
Artie

artemisdances

Different styles

Hello;

Artemis Mourat here. I have an aritcle on my website that you can read. It describes some of the differences between the Turkish style and Egyptian styles and why there is a difference.

www.serpentine.org/artemis/turkishdance.html

I also have a mini documentary on my Turkish Oriental Instructional DVD from IAMED that illustrates some of the differences. I will do a more elaborate documentary section in my next DVD from Serpentine Communications. Thank you!
Happy Spring!
Artie

artemisdances

Sent it twice

OOPPSS! This is only my second post and I think I sent it twice. I tried to cancel one but it is still there. I am new to this technology. Sorry! Gosh, I still write letters and make phone calls rather than emailing!
Artemis

KuteNurse

OOPPSS! This is only my second post and I think I sent it twice. I tried to cancel one but it is still there. I am new to this technology. Sorry! Gosh, I still write letters and make phone calls rather than emailing!
Artemis

HA! I do that all the time! Welcome and I am looking forward to your posts. Happy Easter.

edavis2

Dance types

Hey,

What kind of dance type is the dance Nathalie?

I'm not sure how to post YouTube vids, but if one puts in "Belly dance-Nathalie", they can see the vid i;m talking about. Also, what is the difference between the Turkish Style, Lebanese, and Cabaret?:think: These styles appear the same to me.

Aisha Azar

Differences

Dear Edavis,
Two of the most important aspects of the differences in the dance styles is the music and the cultural affilliation of the specific dancers. In theory, the music should help the dancer to decide which movements to use, how big they should be, when to use them, what they make the dancer feel and emote. The movements from all three styles generally come from the same movement families, so when we are first learning the dance, it is sometimes hard to see the differences. This is one reason why I recommend sticking with watching videos of natives at first, because the differences become clearer more quickly and go beyond movement into the way the dancers express their music. These days I hear that Turks are often dancing to Egyptian music, but they are still doing it with a Turkish outlook on life!
Egyptian- This style is said to be the most physicallycomplex of the styles,
(though my personal opinion is that good Turkish style belly dance is also very complex), and it uses musci that changes often, expresses many moods, the movements are smaller than in, say, Lebanese style, and layered one on top of the other so that the dancer may be doing a shimmy over an undulation while covering horizontal space. Egyptian belly dance also uses a lot of angles to show the movement of the body from more than one persepective at a time, is done on both the toes and flatfooted, noticeably so, and is often stationary for the most emotionally complex parts of the music. There is usually little or not floor work.

Lebanese- Modern Lebanese music tends to be less complex and will often have a steady tempo and a rather more steady and driving rythm throughout a piece of music.The dancer usually uses bigger movement than in Egyptian dance and also uses less layering. When there is layering, it tends to be more obvious than in the more subtle Egytian style. Lebanese dance tends to be more attached to the rythm than the melody, if that makes sense, while Egyptian dancers tend to acknowledge both at once through layering. There is sometimes a little bit of floorwork.

Turkish- I feel that in this style, there are those who are far more expert than me and can give a better answer, but from a student's eye view in this dance style, here goes. The Turkish style of belly dance is done more on the toes, the movement is bigger than in Egyptian, but more layered than in Lebanese. The dancer uses more stylized arm movements than in the other two styles. There seems to be a use of melody and rythm at once, but not as much as with Egytian dance. Real Turkish music is very complex and maybe even more complex on some levels than Egytian music, so it may be harder to make the human body do all those things at once. Turks move more abruptly than Egyptian, is the only way I know how to say this. their dance, even in slow sections of the music, seems sort of quicker than either the Lebanese or
Egytian versions. There is often floorwork.

I hope this has been helpful for assisting you to see the differences. Again I have to stress. Look at native dancers first. Westerners seem often to blur those distinctions unless they are very apt at the dance style. With a few years of study, it in most cases becomes more and more obvious what style is being performed with the natives. Not always so much so with westerners and sometimes people claim to be dancing styles that they are not dancing. It is something to watch out for.
Best of luck and regards,
A'isha

Hey,

What kind of dance type is the dance Nathalie?

I'm not sure how to post YouTube vids, but if one puts in "Belly dance-Nathalie", they can see the vid i;m talking about. Also, what is the difference between the Turkish Style, Lebanese, and Cabaret?:think: These styles appear the same to me.