Do we love drawstrings? Yes, we do!

Elfie

So. I'm planning to make my first costume. I'll be planning for several months while I get some sewing practice done (I'm going to make simple triangle hip scarves and veils to practice hemlines and bead/coin/fringe work. They seem simple enough).

My question?

Elastic or drawstring? I seem to be leaning toward drawstring waists. Elastic is all fine and good, and I may even use some for panels or over-skirts. But I've noticed in a lot of my drawings and breakdowns of what is what (I'm obsessive about drawing out what I want - no matter what the subject.) that most of the waist hems are noted as drawstring.

Are drawstring waists advisable in dance costumes? What is the risk of shaking the knot loose? Is there any way to compensate for such a mishap (safety pin to the belt, or pin the string knot together)? Any suggestions on what not to do with drawstrings?

Thanks in advance, ladies.

Greek Bonfire

I think elastic would be better because as we move and dance, the elastic moves with us. Just my inexperienced opinion, as I notice in a lot of my own workout clothes that elastic always moves better than drawstring. Or even when you tie a hipscarf around yourself, the tie doesn't always adapt as well as any elastic clothing.

Aniseteph

I prefer elastic too. Drawstrings usually cut in on me, or slip round, and the knots pull tight so they are a pain to undo. Worse if there's any weight to the item e.g. beading or coins, or heavier fabric. With elastic the load is distributed a bit more.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I also think elastic is better and neater. Drawstring you end up with a lump somewhere so it is difficult to hide, elastic sits flat. If you plan on making skirts from Lycra at any point, drawstrings would definitely (IMO) be lumpy and is very likely to slip and the knot could come undone.
~Mosaic

Elfie

Okay. Elastic works. Are there any instances where you would use a drawstring?

I am more attracted to drawstrings because - well, my body is weird. 6 months ago I was a size 8 jean, now I'm down to a 2-4. Which isn't weight loss because I weigh the exact same as I did 6 months ago. I'd hate to have to redo the waist in 6 months because I jumped back up in size - the stretch of elastic does give after a while and the up then back down roller-coaster thing makes me worry about the longevity of elastic.

What about an elastic/drawstring combination waistband? Think that would work?

Aniseteph

What about an elastic/drawstring combination waistband? Think that would work?

It'd be more complicated.

If you are making a casing for the elastic/drawstring you just need to make it wide enough to take elastic, and have openings that cater for the string ends or to put elastic in... and if one doesn't work out you can try the other!

Elfie

It'd be more complicated.

I was afraid of that. :lol: I'll try making a few before I go on to more complicated stuff. (I can't sew! I'm getting a book that one lady on here told me about. Once I get down the basics, I'll give it a try.) I may do one with drawstring and one with elastic to see which I like better. I've never danced in a skirt, so I have no idea which would be better suited to me - thus the questions. In workout crops, the elastic bugs me a bit, but they're quite snug. It may be a bit different with a skirt. Different fit and all.

Shanazel

I like elastic. Drawstrings never distribute the gathers of the skirt or harem pants to suit me. An elastic/drawstring combination worked okay, but I wasn't really happy with it- had all the problems of both methods and not much advantage. I do leave a place in the waistband basted as opposed to sewn so I can easily access the elastic for weight change adjustments.

Elfie

I like elastic. Drawstrings never distribute the gathers of the skirt or harem pants to suit me. An elastic/drawstring combination worked okay, but I wasn't really happy with it- had all the problems of both methods and not much advantage. I do leave a place in the waistband basted as opposed to sewn so I can easily access the elastic for weight change adjustments.

Bolding mine. I think that's a great idea. I might do just that. Thank you Shanazel.

Shanazel

Early on I had a couple of drawstring skirts. They weren't very comfortable: the narrow string that actually held the skirt on tended to cut into my- er, ampleness- more than elastic to get the same security.

Maybe you could use some kind of suspenders to hold the skirt up. Or sew an opening for an elastic belt. You might have to use pins to pin the skirt to the belt if you change your belt because it will shift and bunch up if it's allowed to move. I would sew the drawstring hem wide enough for the belt. It might work.

Amulya

Has anyone ever owned a drawstring costume? I've never seen one!

Yes me. All my skirts are with drawstrings except for my designer one: that has a non stretch band with a zipper. I use drawstrings because they can keep up with my daily shape-shifting :lol: (I can look preggo in the evening, while being normal in the morning) and if I would step on the skirt there is no costume 'oops'. The drawstrings I use are made of cotton, so they don't slip at all.

BUT if you want a 'skirt-only' costume (the one with no belt) a drawstring would look ugly because a drawstring cuts into skin and created a line.

Elfie

Yes me. All my skirts are with drawstrings except for my designer one: that has a non stretch band with a zipper. I use drawstrings because they can keep up with my daily shape-shifting :lol: (I can look preggo in the evening, while being normal in the morning) and if I would step on the skirt there is no costume 'oops'. The drawstrings I use are made of cotton, so they don't slip at all.

BUT if you want a 'skirt-only' costume (the one with no belt) a drawstring would look ugly because a drawstring cuts into skin and created a line.

I have this problem too. One day I am nicely trim and sleek looking, the next day, I have my mommy pouch showing. This was my attraction to drawstrings. I have two drawstring skirts and one elastic skirt. I think they both have their place, but I tend to wear the drawstring ones more often when I practice.