Egyptian bellydance dvds

taheya

Hi all! Im sure there was a thread a while back where people were commenting on egyptian style dvds, so I apologise if this is repeating but can anyone recomemend egyptian dance dvds and where I can get them from. Im interested in performance and instructional and I'm looking for intermediate plus. Any sugggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Outi

Ok, I do repeat myself, but here are the ones I like best (once again). Sadly a very few. I need more, too.

- Fifi Abdo: the Egyptian Star (There is clips from the dvd in this forum)
- Belly Dance Classics - The Legends of Belly Dance 1947-1976

By the way, Suhair Zakis DVD is bad. She is not on her best at all. Actually the worst.

Then I have some very nice ones (bad quality of course) in VCD bougth from Egypt. But those can be hard to get from abroad. Problem with these VCD, is that cover doesn't tell anything. Mostly the inside is crap. Just now during last months, they made some old videos in vcd, and that's the best stuff. Fifi, Mona el-Said, Suhair Zaki, Nagua. So the next time you visit, get these old ones.

Mariesaffron

Check out Hossam Ramzy store they have good instructional, from diferent artists, and classics by Naima Akef, and Taiha Carioca, Marie

samra40

Egyptian Style DVD

Hi,

What style are you interested in?
I agree with the recommendations for the classics . Hossam Ramzy's series Stars of Egypt is a fabulous set of compiled movie clips (I don't know if it is out on DVD)

Also there are modern instructors like Raqia Hassan, Mahmoud Reda. I do own VHS, but hopefully they are available on DVDs if you would like different styles of Egyptian. Reda's style is very influenced by ballet, so some people don't like it, but he is a legend also. Raqia's style is more comtemporary and a bit cheeky (bold) at times.

For performance you can check into DVDs of the Ahlan Wa Sahlam festival shows and other festivals. I personally would prefer not to see so much of "who is in the audiend"... This goes on forever!!! But you do get to see what is going on now, and lots of spontaneous dancing by regular Egyptian. and some folkloric also.

Samra (USA)

taheya

Thanks for all the tips, i do have the egyptian star and i have one of the hossam ramzy, tahia Carioca. I will look into trying to find a raqia hassan one. I really wanted a soheir zaki, what a shame that her dvd is not very good..i have bought a vcd one of fifi in the past it is quite good but like you say donya it is a shame it does not list the content.
Ill carry on searching!

Outi

My problem is when person is asking DVD, please talk about dvd. We talked about this dvd stuff about year ago, with same results (videos this and...)

I know the Hossam Ramzys stuff. Great! But I don't have videoplayer. I haven't had for last 10 years. Hossam didn't still make them on dvd.

But I heard that Aisha Ali made her videos to dvd format. Those are good ones. This is in my shoping list:
Dances of Egypt (this I saw this earlier in video)

And maybe the other ones too.
Belly Dance with Aisha Ali

Last edited:

taheya

the aisha ali ones sound good donya. We need to check that they are universal format as they are made in the states.

teela

did you check sausan's academy for DVD's of the more classic dancers? Check out DVD STORE she's got dancers like Na-eema Akef and Samiha Tawfiq. Its called Dancing in Egyptian film series.

nisha

jillina anyone?

I think Jillina's level 2 dvd is amazing! She breaks down every move and then teaches you a choreography to warda! value for money at £10 sterling! I learned alot from her. Shes so precise and fluid. def get her one.on amazon.com or play.com or ebay.com

Outi

I think Jillina's level 2 dvd is amazing! She breaks down every move and then teaches you a choreography to warda! value for money at £10 sterling! I learned alot from her. Shes so precise and fluid. def get her one.on amazon.com or play.com or ebay.com

But she is not really Egyptian style dancer. I really want the real thing :D

Last edited by a moderator:

taheya

I know what you are saying about the lack of egyptian dvds at the events in the UK, very annoying, especially since there alot of teachers at these events who teach egyptian style.

Kiraze

By the way, Suhair Zakis DVD is bad. She is not on her best at all. Actually the worst.
Do you mean by this DVD "Suheir Zaki, Sweet star of Cairo"? If so I agree - also "Nadia Gamal, the Legend" in the same series was disappointing (her DVD however does not represent Egyptian style).

I have also tried to find some better DVD:s or VCD:s of Suheir Zaki and Naima Akef but this far without much success and I am not too willing to buy pig in a poke especially with higher prices... must check what else is there on Safticraft as that Naima Akef VCD looks interesting (and affordable) - thanks for the tip Suheir :)

Outi

Do you mean by this DVD "Suheir Zaki, Sweet star of Cairo"? If so I agree - also "Nadia Gamal, the Legend" in the same series was disappointing (her DVD however does not represent Egyptian style).

I have also tried to find some better DVD:s or VCD:s of Suheir Zaki and Naima Akef but this far without much success and I am not too willing to buy pig in a poke especially with higher prices... must check what else is there on Safticraft as that Naima Akef VCD looks interesting (and affordable) - thanks for the tip Suheir :)

Yep, that's the Suhari Zakis DVD.

They have made these very old videos in VCD format now in Cairo, so I'm happy. When you come to Finland Kiraze? I could bring you a few. Suhar Zaki, Mona Said, Nagua Foad.. Interested? Send me a private message.