Egyptian face expressions

Ahava_Melantha

I am just curious, pardon my ignorance. I know in Egyptian style you're supposed to feel "in" not "out" like Turkish style. but do the face expressions always have to be contorted and sad looking?

shiradotnet

Facial expressions should suit the mood of the song.

If it's a joyful song, joyful facial expressions would be appropriate.

If it's a sad song, then the facial expressions should honor the song. I personally don't aim to make sad/contorted facial expressions, even on sad songs. I aim for a bittersweet smile, or maybe a meditative look. Internally, I like to think of portraying a feeling of hope that this too shall pass - the "hope" softens it.

Yame

If it's a sad song, then the facial expressions should honor the song. I personally don't aim to make sad/contorted facial expressions, even on sad songs. I aim for a bittersweet smile, or maybe a meditative look. Internally, I like to think of portraying a feeling of hope that this too shall pass - the "hope" softens it.

I do the same. Although, sometimes I portray joy even when the lyrics are sad (depending on venue and feel of the music... because expression isn't black and white, and some sad songs sound joyful). But basically, I almost never do the very exaggerated sad faces. Not all Egyptian dancers do, either, though it's very common in the modern style.

Kashmir

Your face (and body language) should reflect the lyrics of the song (even if it is an instrumental version). Sometimes that is happy - but sometimes sad - or angry or frustrated or ...

Ahava_Melantha

okay thanx. I was watching some egyptian dancers, as recommended by Ranya renee to get a better feel of egyptian style, and I was watching Dina, and I just couldn't enjoy it, regardless of skill or beauty or art.

Sophia Maria

Interesting thread! Ahava Melantha, I'm not quite sure what you mean by feeling "in" instead of feeling "out"?

Speaking of which, does anyone have any tips for dancing with facial expressions? I sometimes have the problem of locking a grin in place to cover up nervousness...then I just look like a nutter :lol:

Ahava_Melantha

@ Shira - Loved your article. When I used to perform my gma would describe me as clark kent and superman. one minute i'm the sci-fi nerd/colleg student, and then I'm "the belly dancer" lol. a lot of other ppl who know me also said that I had a "dancing" persona. I wasn't Brenna anymore, I was "Ahava Melantha, the beloved and Mysteriously dark rose".

@animadanza - on Ranya Renees Baladi series she says part of the egyptian style of dancing, is that the feeling of the dance tends to be in, holding the feeling in. while in turkish the movements are expressed outwards. I hope that helps.

Kashmir

Interesting thread! Ahava Melantha, I'm not quite sure what you mean by feeling "in" instead of feeling "out"?

Speaking of which, does anyone have any tips for dancing with facial expressions? I sometimes have the problem of locking a grin in place to cover up nervousness...then I just look like a nutter :lol:
Egyptian dancers are "allowed" a wider emotional range. While watching Turkish and Lebanese dancers I see lots of "let me entertain you" faces - usually smiling and offering. You sometimes see this with some performances in Egypt (depends on the music) but you also see a more introspective face. The dancer is in the music rather than giving it to the audience. They are thinking. They are feeling what the music is about.

And I think that is the "secret" to facial expressions. Don't "practice your smile in front of mirror" as one teacher I know tells her students. Feel joy. Feel sadness. Feel elation. Feel pain. If the song or the dance cannot do it for you - try thinking about an event in your life that matches what you want to show.

Ahava_Melantha

animadanza - alter ego is the word I was thinking of. create your own alter ego. ppl used to tease me and say I had one when I danced. lol.

shiradotnet

okay, maybe I just can't stand Dina's face expressions? shes a good dancer, I just can't stand the expressions on her face.

Dina indeed sometimes exaggerates facial expressions. I don't find that particularly attractive, either. She's a good enough dancer that I still enjoy watching her dance, I just ignore the facial expressions. I've also learned to ignore some of the odder costumes that she has used.

Ahava_Melantha

thanx yame. its not her dancing, its her face expressions. but I might just change my mind too. I used to not like turkish dancing, now I SOOOOO want to learn turkish romani dancing, lol.