Fan Veil Dancing?

beachbunny

Hi everyone! I just got fan veils and dvds in the mail and I'm very excited! I'm getting frustrated though because I am having so much trouble holding the fans open. Do you have any advice on keeping them open and keeping my hands comfortable? Thanks so much!;)

mahsati_janan

In general, it will just be a lot of practice to get your hand/arm strength and your muscle memory in place. Most dancers who are just starting out with fans of any kind tend to hold them very tightly which wears you out quickly, so, while you are practicing, make your grip one of the things you check periodically to make sure it hasn't tightened back up.

There are a few things that might be causing an issue beyond just strength/muscle training. Depending on the size of your hands, you may find that the size of fan you have now is too big/small for you to hold open easily, but, with practice, you can push past that as well. There can also be a particularly large or sharp pin holding the fan together. If so, you may need to trim down or replace the pin. Finally, fans generally only open in one direction, so check your fans to make sure that you are always pulling open in the correct direction for that fan.

I use a grip most of the time with my thumb across one edge of the fan with the rest of my fingers curled in a fan shape on the other side. Just keep practicing! :D You'll get it!

beachbunny

Thanks so much for the advice! Very helpful!:) I guess I just need to practice more and more! Also, when I'm not to sure how to hold the fan! I think I'll attach pictures so I can ask if I'm holding it correctly later! It also hurts the palm of my hand, but I think it's because I'm just not used to it yet.

Fan dancing is so beautiful, Farasha! :D I bought these from Meleea's Bellydance Shopping Bazaar! It's a website called beledi.com, what dvds did you get?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanazel

I don't use dance fans but I carry a regular hand fan with me during the summer- and I use it, too. I've gotten quite good at snapping the thing open and shut. I haven't gone as far as tapping handsome young men on the shoulder with it and saying things like, "La, sir!" but I could if I wanted to.:D

Carrying a regular hand fan with you during the day would give you extra time to practice as well as a certain cachet. I bought several fans while I was in Europe, including two made of Battenburg lace; they are not only useful but are conversation starters as well.

Sorta off topic, but not too far. ;)

beachbunny

Thats an amazing idea! It's really hot too since it's summer! I'm definitely going to try that and I can get lots of practice! Thank you Shanazel!

Farasha Hanem

Thanks so much for the advice! Very helpful!:) I guess I just need to practice more and more! Also, when I'm not to sure how to hold the fan! I think I'll attach pictures so I can ask if I'm holding it correctly later! It also hurts the palm of my hand, but I think it's because I'm just not used to it yet.

Fan dancing is so beautiful, Farasha! :D I bought these from Meleea's Bellydance Shopping Bazaar! It's a website called beledi.com, what dvds did you get?

I haven't gotten any instructional DVD's on fan veils yet. Do you recommend Meleea's DVD?

I'm really excited to use my new fan veils! :D So far, I've been watching YouTube videos of fan veil performances, just to see them in action. They're so gorgeous! :D

beachbunny

I know! I am so mesmerized by them! So far I've only watched part of it but I guess it helps. It is home-made videos so I think watching youtube videos are just as helpful! I'll tell you more when I finish the whole video! :)

Last edited: