Gathered chiffon insert

I have a skirt with a thigh-high split. If you've seen my thighs, you'd know why I don't like it!

I'd like to insert some chiffon but not sure how to go about it.

I found some good sites explaining how to measure and cut a "godet", but I'm not sure that's quite what I want. I've seen dancers with what looks like a gathered piece of chiffon as an insert.

Daimona

I have a skirt with a thigh-high split. If you've seen my thighs, you'd know why I don't like it!

I'd like to insert some chiffon but not sure how to go about it.

I found some good sites explaining how to measure and cut a "godet", but I'm not sure that's quite what I want. I've seen dancers with what looks like a gathered piece of chiffon as an insert.

So you want an insert of chiffon that is gathered on top?
You can make it the same way as a godet, but a bit wider on top than a godet normally would be and then gather it before you sew it on.

Shanazel

Looks like a quarter circle insert cut on the bias and sewn into the slit in the normal way. The bias drape is what makes it look gathered.

Aniseteph

Second that.

If you get the fullness from a gather at the top it will make a lump that will not sit smoothly on a tighter fitting skirt, though you could disguise it with a surface decoration. But the quarter circle will have just a single layer of chiffon to add in at the top.

Daimona

I second the others after seeing the picture.

If you want even more fullness, you can use a piece of chiffon that is between 1/4 and 1/2 circle.

PracticalDancer

(Raises hand, stands up AA style for a confession)

"Hello, my name is Anala, and I am a dance costume cheater. Whenever I want to fill in a slit quickly, I use a semicircular chiffon veil pinned at the top of the slit, and perhaps along the sides. I find the center point of the veil along the straight edge and align that to the top of the slit. That way I have 2 costume pieces that can be used together or separately. And, if I want different looks, I can use different chiffon veil colors."

(Raises hand, stands up AA style for a confession)

"Hello, my name is Anala, and I am a dance costume cheater. Whenever I want to fill in a slit quickly, I use a semicircular chiffon veil pinned at the top of the slit, and perhaps along the sides. I find the center point of the veil along the straight edge and align that to the top of the slit. That way I have 2 costume pieces that can be used together or separately. And, if I want different looks, I can use different chiffon veil colors."

Brilliant!