Good quality belly dance pants/tops?

BellyBee

I bought a pair of belly dance pants from ebay and I was very upset about the quality. Is there any pants that has the lululemon yoga pants quality? I want one that shapes up your butt like lululemon.. Where do you shop for your belly dance pants/tops?

Plus, I am 5'9, the pants I tried in my dance studio are usually short on me.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I love Marika magic pants, they have tummy control and butt lift pants. they are really comfortable, great cut, hold their shape after many washes. I even wear them out when I want to wear pants. I have to take them up a bit (1 to 2 inches) as I am only 5' 4" I have tried hundreds of different types & brands and i always come back to these. They last forever:D .... Hmmmm I sound like an ad:lol:

Womens Yoga Pants.
~Mosaic

Donia

Muse of the Harlequin - other options are safer, I think

Just a gentle word of warning about Muse of the Harlequin.

I've placed three eBay orders with her. The 1st two orders went smoothly and I love the pants. Unfortunately, I never received my last order. And it's been over a year! There were emails back and forth at first, but there's been no response to my last three emails.

I get busy and forget, so part of it has been my mistake letting so much time elapse between emails. But when you're waiting for overseas shipments, you do need some patience, so it's a challenging balance.

Anyway... I like her pants, but be vigilant if you order from her. If you stay on top of it, you can open a dispute if you have a problem. If you let too much time go by, then you don't have any options.

I own and love...

The lace waist pants that Purusha People make: active wear & lounge wear for health & happiness by purushapeople

The ruffly pants from Kathleen Crowley (although she doesn't seem to have any listed right now): Kathleen Crowley by KathleenCrowley on Etsy

The striped fun that comes from Ojala:
Ojala Creations by Ojala on Etsy

I second the vote for Melodia's, too. She's great.

I've ordered costumes and "class wear" from both Dahlal Internationale : Welcome!
https://www.dahlal.com/default.aspx?n=1&c=7&s1=2&s2=2
and www.BellyDanceStore.com:
https://www.bellydancestore.com/store.php?category=CLW0

Happy shimmies,

Donia

Ariadne

I've placed three eBay orders with her. The 1st two orders went smoothly and I love the pants. Unfortunately, I never received my last order. And it's been over a year!

It's been over a year since she was on this forum as well. I hope she is alright.

Mosaic

Super Moderator

I've placed three eBay orders with her. The 1st two orders went smoothly and I love the pants. Unfortunately, I never received my last order. And it's been over a year! There were emails back and forth at first, but there's been no response to my last three emails.

I get busy and forget, so part of it has been my mistake letting so much time elapse between emails. But when you're waiting for overseas shipments, you do need some patience, so it's a challenging balance.

Anyway... I like her pants, but be vigilant if you order from her. If you stay on top of it, you can open a dispute if you have a problem. If you let too much time go by, then you don't have any options.

I own and love...

The lace waist pants that Purusha People make: active wear & lounge wear for health & happiness by purushapeople

The ruffly pants from Kathleen Crowley (although she doesn't seem to have any listed right now): Kathleen Crowley by KathleenCrowley on Etsy

The striped fun that comes from Ojala:
Ojala Creations by Ojala on Etsy

I second the vote for Melodia's, too. She's great.

I've ordered costumes and "class wear" from both Dahlal Internationale : Welcome!
https://www.dahlal.com/default.aspx?n=1&c=7&s1=2&s2=2
and www.BellyDanceStore.com:
https://www.bellydancestore.com/store.php?category=CLW0

Happy shimmies,

Donia

Donia have you tried to contact her through facebook? She seems to be active there Muse of the Harlequin | Facebook Maybe she has cancelled her ebay account or something so isn't using the email you have. Sure hope she responds to you. I bought some of her pants in 2010, 1 off ebay and she was a bit slow in even posting things from there, but direct through FB she was a bit quicker.
~Mosaic

Donia

Thank you, Mosaic.

I didn't think to find her on FaceBook. I've been trying to reach her through eBay. That's a great suggestion.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Thank you, Mosaic.

I didn't think to find her on FaceBook. I've been trying to reach her through eBay. That's a great suggestion.
Hope you have some luck getting your pants, a year is too long.
~Mosaic

Donia

Melodia

I just ordered from Melodia in Dec or Jan. I didn't try to call, but the order was smooth as always.

Donia

Donia

I ordered those exact ones! The Mini Ruching Pant and the Ruffle Capris: Melodia Designs: Organic Cotton/Lycra Ruffle Capri

I love them both. I actually wish I'd ordered a larger size. I usually wear a 6 or an 8 on the bottom (definitely more like an 8 at the moment.) I ordered mediums, but I think the larges would have been more flattering. *shrug*

Oh well... just have to cut down on the chocolates. :lol:

Good luck!

Just wanted to let you all know that I contacted Muse of the Harlequin using the email address she'd posted on FaceBook. She got back to me right away. I understand that things happen, I was just worried after so many emails went into the "black hole".

The ones that were lost in the mail will be replaced when they have more in stock. And I ordered yet another pair of pants from her! :dance:

Thank you mosaic and nightdancer for your suggestions. I'd been feeling pretty hopeless about the whole thing until then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amulya

Has anyone tried stuff from EBay? So many new sellers it's confusing. I got some feedback on them on my TPBDC blog which were positive so I am going to order some and see what they are like. I might need to redo the stitching but I'm willing to try. If it's cr*p it's just my bad luck :p

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Has anyone tried stuff from EBay? So many new sellers it's confusing. I got some feedback on them on my TPBDC blog which were positive so I am going to order some and see what they are like. I might need to redo the stitching but I'm willing to try. If it's cr*p it's just my bad luck :p
Depends on what you are looking at, I have purchased pants from a couple of sellers, they are OK but I find the fabrics quite lightweight, so a bit cold in the cooler months:D. The harem styles from India (only bought one pair) the chiffon is very thin and even though I told them the length they were a bit short, so I passed them onto another girl who was shorter than myself. The Chinese dance pants even if they say large are not European L, always write and ask them to give you exact measurements. There was one style I really liked with lace overskirts attached and I had them make me 3 pairs because the L was about a size 10-small 12. I wear an Oz 12 sometimes 14 if the brand is cut a bit smaller as some are, and if I buy from China need an XXL to fit. The pants i had made cost $20 Oz each with $12 shipping for the 3 prs so good value and I not only wear them for dance (in summer) but to go out as well:D
~Mosaic

BellyBee

I've ordered stuff from Ebay, the quality is a bit disappointing. The bra strap was broken after a couple of gentle use. I ordered a few tops, they say it will fit XS-S, but they turned out to be short and my bra shows. Another thing with the costume I ordered is the color fades a little bit when you sweat.

Amulya

That's what I suspect. I wouldn't buy any costumes, only skirts or practise stuff. I have saved a list of stuff I might get, but no idea what their stuff is like. I'll dig up the list and post it here, maybe someone recognizes the sellers :)

(yes sizes seem weird, even if they list them, they are all teeeeeensy and I am already a size 6-8 and it wouldnt fit me!)