Hafla Etiquette

gwinity

(wasn't sure where to put this, so feel free to move it to a more appropriate spot)

I've never been to a hafla before, but am almost 100% certain to attend one at Halloween, which is being organised through my teacher. And if I attend, I'll be performing with the rest of my class.

What is the etiquette of attending an event like this? Are there any dos and don'ts (whether performing or not)? If I want to bring my (non-dancing) partner, is that OK?

I just want to do the right thing by the local dance community and have a ball at the same time.

Thanks! :D

Safran

I guess the do's and dont's really depend on the organizer, but you really shouldn't be worried! Hafla's are a place to have fun and enjoy yourself, not to worry about etiquette. If you have any specific questions, turn to your teacher. Otherwise just go and enjoy, and learn at the same time!

I have once seen a great piece on how to organize a successful hafla. I'll try to locate it - I guess learning about the backstage work of the event will also tell you a lot about how things work.

Gia al Qamar

As at any performance, you want to let the organizer know that you WILL be dancing, what number you're dancing to, the time (length) of the number, & your name/stage name.
You will want to arrive at least 30-60 mins before the show. Find out what part of the show you're in. Come in your make-up and wearing as much of your costume as possible. Do not enter the dressing room until you're ready to finish dressing for your performance. Once you are dressed, cover-up and leave the dressing room so dancers who need to change will have room!
If you are NOT on stage, you should be in a full cover-up/galabeya, not just a veil.
You should watch the other performers not just perform and run.
Make sure to thank the person throwing the hafla...she did a LOT of work to provide you with a place to share your love of the dance!
Gia

Moon

Sorry to drop in, but I have a question about hafla too so I thought maybe this is the right place to ask it. I'm thinking about going to a hafla at a place I've never been before (somewhere in Den Bosch, Netherlands, maybe the Dutch people here know more about it?). I found out about it from a small brochure at my own dance school. I can't find any info about it on the internet. No-one I know has plans to go there. So my question is: Is it stupid to go to a hafla on your own where you don't know anyone? Can you still have fun that way? Or is it better if I don't go?

Yshka

I Do Moon!! Is it the Hafla by Samira Harit and Naima? I live in Den Bosch and attend that hafla every month!! Well, not next week (the one ik october I can't be there since I have a workshop then). But will be there probably in november again. :D

Last edited:

Moon

I don't have the brochure, there was only one so I just copied the address.

When is the one in November? Maybe I can go then and drop the October one. (unless you don't want to see me in real life heheh :D)

Yshka

:D Would love to see you in real life!!

Sounds like fun. I'll try to find out when the next one is.

(btw I just PM'd you Moon, but something went wrong so you might get the same message a few times lol):p

Last edited:

gwinity

Thanks Gia and maariku for the tips! I definitely plan to have fun (as long as we don't burn the place down!) :D

Safran

I definitely plan to have fun (as long as we don't burn the place down!) :D

Yeah, some people have different perceptions of having fun :D :D

Unfortunately I haven't found the article on holding a hafla :( Can anyone help me out here? Maybe you've seen it as well and actually can locate it? It was a great piece saying when you should start what kind of preparations and went down to some very small but significant details.