Head Slide???

chi

Hi hi dancers,

Anyone can tell me how to do HEAD SLIDE?? I totally can't. Is there any special technique? How to practice?

THanks a lot!

Chi

Hi Chi, I can tell you how to do a head slide but unfortunately, I won't be able to see you and make corrections.
First, start off in basic postion, for head slides this means, you head must be in a neutral postion with your spine. Not tilted forward or back, have someone check to see if your ears line up with your sholuders. This will be your starting position and landmark.
Second, make sure your shoulders are relaxed and pulled slightly back.
Now I intially teach head slides with the arms in temple pose over the head, this helps students have an additional landmark, keep shoulders down.
The movement for the head head slide actually comes from the neck and not the head, while in temple pose contract your neck and try to slide your right ear to your right bicep(do not tilt the chin toward the bicep), your head should be moving on a level horizontal plane. Now slide back to the middle and try to slide your ear to left bicep.
Things to avoid: If you hunch your shoulders you may block the motion of the neck,shortening the neck contraction and thereby shortening the slide.
Do not tilt the head in any direction, this can cause the muscles in your neck to become tired during the slide. Imagine that your chin is sliding across the a table. Make the move small at first and then work up to larger slide once you've developed more range of motion. Hope this helps.
Yasmine

gwinity

I can't do them at all - I think the muscles in the sides of my neck are too tight (and I tilt my head when I try). Any suggestions on how to warm up and loosen them?

Hi Gwinity, The neck muscles used for head slides are difficult to isolate, you can try basic chin tucks forward, where you touch your chin to your chest. Another exercise to try is to turn your head side to side as if you are shaking your head no. You don't have to do it vigorously, just enough to warm up and isolate the muscles and head rolls. Finally, practice,practice and practic the head slide until you build the correct muscle memory.
Yasmine

chi

Hi Yasmine,

Thanks for your help :)! I'm keeping practice and practice! I think head slide is a cute and lively movement. I like it! But when I do this, I feel my head is sliding to the forward diagonals but not to the sides :(!

Cheers~
Chi

Last edited:

milky

I can do this move, but not that smoothly. I always feel my neck muscles a little bit tight when I do it. Maybe I need more practice to make it nifty.:D

Recnadocir

I've never seen anyone do head slides like Pete Rose. That guy was amazing! Don't know that he bothered with the temple pose- he just went for it. Second, third, home, it was all the same to him. Too bad about the betting thing, though I think he deserves the Hall anyway.

I've never seen anyone do head slides like Pete Rose. That guy was amazing! Don't know that he bothered with the temple pose- he just went for it. Second, third, home, it was all the same to him. Too bad about the betting thing, though I think he deserves the Hall anyway.

LOL:lol: It's good to see that living in Methville hasn't change your perspective!
Yasmine

shhh

if you can't slide your head try keeping your head in position while sliding your shoulders. Yhe muscles used for the head are the same... after this exercise try to invert the movements moving your head inseted of your shoulders.

Kharmine

What makes it easier for me is bringing my arms over my head in that tent pose and then focusing on getting my head to move horizontally until an ear is touching my arm, then back along the same horizontal line.

If you're REALLY stiff in the neck, try getting a good massage. Sometimes it takes muscle manipulation by a pro to get the kinks of a lifetime out.

Recnadocir

Go to the light, Carrie-Ann!