Help from Amulya , Please?

Azeeza

Well... I wasn't able to get the wires out of the cups because the casing and the whole cup was sewn right onto the decoration. There are at least one million stitches from the inside of the cup right through to the decorated outside.

I ended up taking the whole cup out and replacing it with a new set, but I'm going to have to resew all of the sequins and beads on it. Ugh...

The casing around the underwire had a double stitch tracing the half moon shape and in that casing was another million stitches.

There just is no way to do this with a beaded Egyptian style hard cupped bra. I was up until 4 AM this morning trying to take the bra apart and I've only gotten one cup out and it isn't even in the bra yet.

Somebody shoot me!

Azeeza

Last edited:

Shanazel

I wouldn't dream of shooting you, but I can give you a cyberspace hug and pat on the back. Sounds like they expected that bra to go through earthquakes and fire without disintegrating. I thought it would just be a matter of opening one end of the casing and sliding the wire out- I've done that before. Never occurred to me anyone would sew right through casing, wire, and all!

Azeeza

Oh Shanazel:

Thank you for your sympathetic words. I need them right now.

I was able to add a picture to my previous posting. Every single black thread that you see on the cup has a bead and sequin decoration attached to it. Plus, the underwire has been triple stitched to the casing.

Thanks for all the support (no pun intended) and I think the Egyptian bras are going to be around a lot longer than cockroaches if the design doesn't change on the hard cups.

Azeeza

Shanazel

They probably triple stitched the underwire to the casing to keep it from working its way out in the course of vigorous use. I've had lingerie bras that ended up poking underwires through the ends of casings, though I haven't had one do that in some time (knock on wood). Well, I will send you all the sympathy you can stand and you are welcome to weep on my shoulder as needed.

Amulya

Somebody shoot me!

Azeeza

No shooting :) . Maybe we can all come over and help beading the bra! That does look complicated, Mine was also covered with stiches, but I could get the wires out easily without damaging the rest.

Azeeza

Update:

I was working diligently on the bra over the holidays, when I ran out of sequins! I looked in my local craft stores, but I couldn't find the right size or color. I looked online for U.S. stationed suppliers, the color I was looking for was out of stock! I looked on eBay, nothing. FINALLY, I found a place in Canada, so now I am waiting for them to arrive so I can finish my bra.

In the mean time, I have started to take the cups out of a dress and exchange them for larger ones.

When will I learn to order a costume that is custom made for me, or better yet, why don't I just make my own?

Azeeza

Shanazel

Azeeza, I am ready to pin a rose on you for sheer diligence and determination in the face of nearly overwhelming problems. Please let me know what color sequins you'd like the rose decorated with! I assure you, making your own costume will be a piece of cake after these experiences of yours.

Azeeza

Shanazel:

You are a sweetheart!

I'm just an idiot, the K-Mart shopper I guess. If I can get two costumes for the price of one, I'll buy it, even if the bra doesn't fit.

I'm always thinking I can alter the top without problems, but I never learn. There are always problems and they are much bigger than I anticipate every time!

Sigh,

Azeeza

PS Why don't you chose the sequin color for the rose? My track record has been awful with sequins and beads thus far! LOL!!!

Azeeza

Since I'm still waiting for the sequins arrive, I started taking a dress cup apart, then I found out that I need a Lycra costume, so I started taking the cups out of that top.

Will the insanity ever end? I'm wondering if I'm really saving any money by buying second hand and altering rather than just buying one that fits that was custom made to order.

Azeeza

Suhad

Azeeza, I really think, based on personal experience, that starting from scratch with a bra that fits you and custom making the belt is the way to go, unless you are going to spend upwards of $800 US on a costume that is custom made for your measurements. I have two stock professional costumes; both of them required major amounts of time to alter to fit me...one so much so that it still sits in my costume dresser unused. I simply don't have the motivation to do that much costume surgery right now!

I just finished making a costume from scratch (well, two actually) that I will try to post in the gallery section. Total investment of money for both: under $100. Total investment of time for each: about 60 hours. Total satisfaction with costumes that actually fit me: priceless.

Suhad

OK, they're posted in the costumes section...and thank you Anatoliy for the hints on posting. :dance:

Off topic completely...nothing like pictures to make you realize that the 30 pounds you've put on REALLY SHOWS in pictures!!!!