How do you bead on stretch velvet?

Rassi

I have his stetch velvet costume that had cheap gold sequins in the shapes of ears of corn :rolleyes: I removed the sequins but they flattened the pattern so the ears are still visible. I want to bead it in some way but the velvet is stretchy. Should I use an embroidery hoop to hold the fabric while trying to bead?

I confess I really have no idea what I;m doing here. HELP PLEASE!!!

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

I am not an expert, but I would think you would stretch it somewhat, but not all the way, so that when you are moving and the fabric stretches, that you do not have all these gaps showing on the costumes. I think a moderate to severe stetch would be good too so that you could insert more beading. Good luck - I've yet to do my own beading from scratch.

Daimona

I have his stetch velvet costume that had cheap gold sequins in the shapes of ears of corn :rolleyes: I removed the sequins but they flattened the pattern so the ears are still visible. I want to bead it in some way but the velvet is stretchy. Should I use an embroidery hoop to hold the fabric while trying to bead?

It has been a while since I worked with stretch velvet, but from what I remember, I wouldn't use an embroidery hoop in case the fabric got permanent marks from it. Although I'm not an expert (and if someone have more experience please correct me if I'm wrong). If you want to keep the beaded areas stretchy as possible and as the thread you'll be using and will be limiting factors of how stretchy it will be, you either have to bead very loosely (not recommended) or secure and cut the thread for nearly every bead (it will take a while, but you want regret it).

Still can't figure out how to insert an image.
Your almost doing it right, you just pasted a link to flickr instead of the image itself. :)

Crystalllized

If you want to keep the beaded areas stretchy as possible and as the thread you'll be using and will be limiting factors of how stretchy it will be, you either have to bead very loosely (not recommended) or secure and cut the thread for nearly every bead (it will take a while, but you want regret it).

I use the loose threading technique. I can't say how much I leave loose, Just trial and error. Go really loose first. If it is too much,you can always take out the knot and tighten it up.

Practice on a scrap piece if you have one.

gisela

Super Moderator
This common way of beading has a lot of stretch in it. Loads of egyptian costumes have beading of this kind.
I made a quick sketch in a sucky paint program. Imagine that the fabric is just under the sequins. The thread is dotted in the drawing if it is under the fabric.

You can do the same kind of beading without the sequins too, with just beads. Just take care to use the same amount of beads for each stitch.

Shanazel

Re: the flattened areas on stretch velvet. Try applying an ice cube to those areas alternated with gentle brushing with a fingernail or a fine brush to refluff the surface (don't let the fabric get soaked, though!).

Doing work in hand (without a hoop) on stretch fabric will help you keep from distorting the fabric too much, but the technique requires a bit of practice. Get a scrap of similar fabric and try out your designs and technique first. The extra time and material will be worth the results! Be sure and learn how loose you can leave the beads without having them look like they are going to fall off. You can also buy stretch thread for the beadings.

Only use bead embroidery on areas that aren't likely to stretch too much in the first place, and put a piece of tulle underneath the velvet where you plan to do the stitching- this stabilizes the fabric and makes it stronger and easier to handle.