How nerves affect improv....how do you deal with it?

adiemus

Anala - I wanted to give you rep for that set of instructions, it's SO GOOD, especially the last one:
Control them. The audience has no idea what you intend to do. Tell them how to feel with your expression, guide their attention to what YOU want them to see. (If you have one fabulous right hip that is cooperating that night, keep them looking at that fabulous right hip!). Again, I could go on for hours, but the dirty little secret is that your audience is so intimidated by the fact that YOU are up there and they are not and that YOU have their full attention and that YOU can make them look where YOU want and feel what YOU want that they will only think what you tell them to. Really, it's true. Find that power and then use it wisely.

And Jane - can mine be gin please?

Shanazel

(Deep, long suffering sigh.) All right, ladies, I will be the designated driver- AGAIN. Just make sure there is plenty of ice for my tea.

adiemus

Long island iced tea?!!!

Corylus

Such good advice being given here, especially regarding choosing music you know and like. Some pieces of music will just 'speak' to you and inspire you.

I agree with adiemus; Anala's advice is brilliant, my teacher always says the same to me. The audience don't expect you to do one thing or another, particularly if they aren't dancers themselves. If the audience does contain dancers (like at haflas) they should create a supportive encouraging environment for you because they should know the nerves that you are going through!