How to travel with veils

Safran

I just got my very first silk veils, and I want to put more emphasis on the veil in my practice right now. The technique I can manage learning. However, what remains a mystery to me, is how do you manage keeping your veils wrinkle-free, especially when you travel for performances. Sometimes it feels like it only takes a look at the veil to get it creased.

How do you store them? How do you carry them around? Do you maybe iron them in the dressing room before you go on stage? Or you've got little elves helping you with it? ;)

Shanazel

My elves were uncommonly lazy and I had to do everything myself. ;)

I usually store my veils in a cloth bag and iron them before a show. Storing silk veils over padded hangers keeps them from wrinkling. I carried my crushable costumes to gigs in a garment bag and hung the veils with the skirts. You can also wind them around a long cardboard tube covered in white cotton or acid free paper.

I recently bought a small hand held steamer that fits neatly into a handbag. Wish I had had this when I was performing to freshen up my packed costumes and veils upon arrival at the gig.

Salome

Administrator
I throw mine in the dryer right before I walk out the door, I hang it on a hanger and try to fold it as little as possible.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I thought the title was going to ask how to move around with veils :lol:( I have just woken up, so brain is not quite in gear yet). I like the tube idea and I have used the warm dryer one, I use that for a lot of wrinkle stuff - not the hot cycle though.
~Mosaic

Darshiva

A trick I learned from Ross Weymouth* was to hang up your wrinkled delicates in the bathroom when you have your pre-performance (well, he said wedding but I think it applies to us too!) shower, as the steam from the shower does a fantastic job of reviving your delicates and is cheaper than a portable steamer. ;)

*I was the director's assistant at the Griffith Regional Art Gallery a few years back when they had the exhibition of Ross Weymouth & John Claringbold's fashions when the boys retired & moved back from Sydney to Griffith (well just outside, but you get the drift.) It was a great exhibition. I have pics of the opening night around somewhere on printed film. Does anyone here remember the days before digital cameras? :p

PracticalDancer

The ladies around here who specialize in veil work use the long, big cardboard tubes that upholstery fabric is sold on. Most fabric stores throw these away or recycle them, so they don't mind if you ask for one. (It is how I got mine, and I didn't even buy the fabric that came off of it.)

But, the trick is how you attach the veil -- you get one the width of your veil, roll your veil around it, and then use an old "scrunchie" (the fabric covered loose elastic bands that were so unfortunately popular in the eighties). DO NOT use a tight band -- even a strip of fabric or twine is better, because tight causes wrinkles.

Now, if you are married to a Sci-fi fanboy like I am, you carry it around it a plastic poster tube when it is raining. ;)

Regards,

Anala

Darshiva

If you thought that was contextless, you should see (his?) other posts. Pure WTF with a dash of crazy.

nightdancer

I have mine on a hanger with clips and I just put it in my garment bag so that it hangs up with the rest of my costumes.